Author Topic: Homemade Pop up blinds?  (Read 7359 times)

Offline Stonedog

Homemade Pop up blinds?
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:20 pm »
OK, first things first....I HATE tree stands.  Period.  I am not in a situation to have any permanent stands.  I hate setting them up, packing them in, shooting from them, sitting in them....just not for me.  Period.

So, has anyone ever made their own pop up blind or have plans to make one?

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Homemade Pop up blinds?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »
  I haven't made any pop up blinds, but I have used a set up lately that I have found to be effective.  I got a folding stool with a bag underneath it, like some dovehunters might use.  I keep a 12' role of blind material in the bag.  I have found that with just a few minutes effort I can usually construct a pretty good ground blind using a combination of the blind material and what limbs and blowndown trees etc.. that are near by.  It won't put a roof over your head, but it will provide enough concealment to hunt.  A ghillie suit is another great option.
  I still hunt from trees about half the time.  I don't hunt over about twelve feet high and use a light weight loc on stand and screw in steps.  I hate carrying a lot of gear. 
  The little folding stool and blind material is a breeze to carry. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:01:00 am by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:56:55 am »
  I made a ghillie in 81 HAVE USED IT ON JUST ABOUT EVERY HUNT SINCE THEN. I'VE KILLED 38 SELFBOW BUCKS AND 7 OTHERS WITH A RECURVE AND LONG BOWS AND MORE THAN THAT WITH A RIFLE BEFORE I QUIT RIFLE HUNTING. I'm at 99 bucks but could tag out this fall to reach a 100. Maybe next year.
  I don't like the closed in feeling of a pop-up. I only takes a log or 2 against a tree and your set with a ghillie. If your hunting where others are they never know where you sites are.
  But learning to get to and from your sites undetected. And hunting the wind off the ground while your there is far more important. Off the ground you can't get away with nearly as much as in a tree. I know I stand hunt amost 30 years.
  When I walk out on my deck. Depending on the time of year (RUT) I know what farm and what site I'm hunting before I leave.
  I like you hunt off the ground and have hunted off the ground totally since 05 and learning to hunt the winds where it's at. Camo comes in next.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:06:39 am »
Crooketarrow is right on. The only thing that i will add is, you have to have a comfortable seat. ;) If you don't, you will be fidgety, and moving around quite a bit. This is where my problem is, finding a comfortable seat. :( I can't find a good seat.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:56:25 pm »
I am definitely going with a ghillie.....any good instructions available?
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:05:09 am »
  BENT for alot of years I carryed stools mostly not to let anyone else know where my ground sites were. (FARMERS,PL AND NF) Or no lands that I shared. And still do once and a while. But 99.9 % of my hunting now has been on farms I managed for the last 10 or 12 years.
   I prearange my sites in the winter so there ready to hunt and I do'nt go back to the following season when timeing and winds right. But I just use and leave a milk create and carry foam seats to and from. You can eave them but the squrrils and bears love them also. So I just carry mine on my pack. There low but not to low for your legs. Put a foam seat or 2 on it. There not bad. There easy to get and who steels a milk create and if someone dose put another there.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:22:44 am »
Check out a Ghost Blind on youtube, they are pretty neat.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:18:43 pm »
   One guy I know bought got a ghost blind and there kinda alright. I know animals don't look at things like we do. And from a diftance they look good but get closed the look a little out of place to a person. Not sure how a deer or turkey see's it. I do know you can'nt set them up in direct sunlight or they do look really out of place at least to a person. But I have no exsperance with one. So take what I say with a grain of salt.