Author Topic: heat or steam first  (Read 1057 times)

Offline hector orlando

heat or steam first
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:26 pm »
   hello fellas,i have being reading this forum for a few months now,now i would like to ask a question,posting pictures of this stave ,yew that i hava being working on,is a 61'' ttt 2''0n the fades,tapered to 1.25 . 11''before the tip where i would like to bend it for a static recurve  as you can see in the picture is got  a really bad propeller twist from ttt .the ? is do I heat the whole bow on my form to get the twist off and later on steam the tips ?or do everything at once with dry heat?thanks for all your help i /bowhunter1001/072_zps5167ffce.jpg[/IMG]/albums/a486/bowhunter1001/074_zps17392177.jpg[/IMG]/albums/a486/bowhunter1001/078_zps1fbc37b3.jpg[/IMG]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: heat or steam first
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:36:53 pm »
Are you sure that is yew? It doesn't look like it to me.
  It probably doesn't matter which you do first but I think I'd bend the tips first then work on the twist to help align the recurves.  That really isn't a bad twist but with recurves everything need to line up so the bow doesn't turn inside out on you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hector orlando

Re: heat or steam first
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 01:23:50 am »
pat b. I had put some more pictures on the thread that reads more pictures of yew because I'm new to photobucket too and i did not know how to add those pictures to my original thread. :-[ new to most everything but with help i will get better so this stave has being decrown and sap wood taken out