Author Topic: An experiment turned gift  (Read 1577 times)

Offline KShip85

An experiment turned gift
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:01:35 am »
Some of you probably saw my post on my experiment with a hackberry backed ERC molly.  The whole point of it was to try and see how the design responded for a larger/stronger bow I want to make from a stave I've had set aside for awhile.  Well, after I was satisfied with seeing the design should be ok I decided there was no need for this little bow that came in under weight for me, to just sit on the side an collect dust.  I have a buddy who's into various primitive stuff/do it yourself projects that I spend some time with and a while back I was helping him build a cold smoker and brought my bow along to waste a little time on breaks.  Well, his boy was pretty interested in it.  His little sister just got two little toy bows for Christmas from family so I thought he could use one of his own :)   

Bow is 52" long, 4" handle 1" fades.  Levers are set at a little under 60/40 limb to lever and the top limb is 1" shorter than the bottom.  Tillered out to 24"  It hinged early and was my first attempt at a molle so I know I got it a bit wonky, but it still gets an arrow out good enough for a starter bow :)  I'm not sure the weight on it as I never took a final reading.  Last check it was around 20 lbs at 23" and so I attempted a cable backing, also a first, and am not sure if it added much or not. 

The arrow set was my first real attempt at making a matching set and leaves a lot to be desired.  They were cut from a poplar board, routed to an octagon and then sanded round.  Length was around 24 or 25 inches and I believe thickness somewhere a little under 5/16". I think the spine is a bit stiff for the weight but they flew straight for me.  I ended up cutting the fletching down because it seemed to impede flight.  After doing so they seem to fire fine.  Never got a full draw with me pulling it back, but I got a pic of the kid drawing it to where he could for the moment. 

I'm glad it found a good home and hoped it gets a little guy drawn into traditional shooting. 

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline sleek

Re: An experiment turned gift
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:09:20 am »
Man, that looks nice, especially with the knots in the limb. I also like your idea of putting the nuts on the arrow heads. Nice blunts.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:37:41 am »
nice bow and a good job passing it on.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:06:06 am »
      what seabass said
Honored to say I'm a Member of the