Author Topic: Buck eyes  (Read 4946 times)

gene roberts

Buck eyes
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:03:22 am »
Yall know those nuts "Buckeyes"?There is a way to mix them with something that paralyzes fish.I'm not planning on doing this but if I were in the wild and needed food quick(in a survival situation),I might need the recipe.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Buck eyes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:04:19 pm »
ArrowAirum  I'm Sheree i spelled that wrong but if you mash the roots and stalks of the arrowairum plant and put it in stagnant water the fish will get drunk and belly up.  i swear I've never done this >:D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 06:15:30 pm »
Black walnut bark and hulls work too, not as toxic to people, either.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dingleberry

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:49:33 pm »
I was in South America on a fish research expedition and witnessed the locals (native amerindians) collect fish by treating the water with a local toxin.  The plant, barbasco or hyaline, essentially has the same chemistry as rotenone, which is currently used to stun fish for collection and to also eradicate invasives.  Like Hillbilly said, black walnut is supposed to work.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:15:08 pm »
  The berries on Wax Myrtles were used down here. Crushed in a burlap bag and weighted down with a rock.So I was told ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 01:14:41 am »
Jonathan, I believe rotenone coats the gills and prevents the fish from breathing but doesn't effect the flesh. I had to dig deep in my brain to find that info so it might be flawed. ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gene roberts

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 02:16:02 am »
Thanks

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 04:06:32 pm »
i thought you mixed them with dynomite >:D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:06:45 pm »
yeah... dynomite is good... but ifn ya got some bread crumbs... an m80 works just as well when they are in a large group and you drop it right as the fuse hits the plastic
death by natural causes

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:21:06 pm »
Actually Pat, when the local game and fish was using it on my property they said it removes the free oxygen from the water, and its not supposed to hurt amphibians. Funny thing is all of a sudden we didn't have any more frogs.  They use it to kill the fish that compete with the woundfin minnow because its endangered.  They don't try to keep from killing the freaking minnow when they treat the water though.  Got to keep them endangered to keep your job I guess.  ??? ::) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:26:28 am »
Justin, now that you mentioned it that is what I remember about rotenone too. A friend was with the GA G&F and would use rotenone or shock boats to do striped bass counts in the coastal GA rivers.
Larry would always save the nice "eatin' size" fish for supper. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC