Author Topic: Russian Olive  (Read 5744 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

Russian Olive
« on: October 16, 2007, 06:37:16 pm »
 I am fairly new to Colorado, and I notice there is a lot of Russian Olive growing here.   My neighbor is a woodworker by trade, and uses it alot in turnings and such, it is really pretty wood.  I was wondering if it was possible to make a bow from it?  Does anyone know anything about the properties of this wood?

Thanks,
Titan_Bow
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Russian Olive
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:07:10 pm »
 I remember seeing it in an old back issue of PA.There was a list of trees and their properties.I think Tim Baker mentioned it in one of the Bowyers Bibles.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:10:01 pm »
I haven't tried it yet because I heard it was really brittle.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:44:25 pm »
Ah Yes, I remember that issue, Mullet.  I'll have to see if I can dig it up :)
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:59:37 pm »
 Lots of R-olive around here,would they make arrows? Maybe similar to willow shoots?
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:16:04 am »
Is that the same thing as Autumn Olive -- a bushy tree with delicious red berries?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:14:56 pm »
Is that the same thing as Autumn Olive -- a bushy tree with delicious red berries?

They are closely related, but different species. Russian olive is Elaeagnus angustifolia, and autumn olive is E. umbellata. Russian olive tends to grow bigger, sometimes tree form, while autumn olive is more of a big shrub. Both are extremely invasive exotics, so kill them all and use  them for something.  :)  I've never tried it as bow wood, but I've made arrows and atlatl darts from autumn olive, works pretty well and unfortunately, there's a never-ending supply.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 04:45:36 pm »
Wow.  Mighty ejucated for a hillbilly.

I'll been meaning to try Autumn Olive out as bow wood.  It grows like crazy around here.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 07:35:05 pm »

They are closely related, but different species. Russian olive is Elaeagnus angustifolia, and autumn olive is E. umbellata. Russian olive tends to grow bigger, sometimes tree form, while autumn olive is more of a big shrub. Both are extremely invasive exotics, so kill them all and use  them for something.  :)  I've never tried it as bow wood, but I've made arrows and atlatl darts from autumn olive, works pretty well and unfortunately, there's a never-ending supply.
Around here a lot of the Russian olive are shrub like.  The olives are always green or yellow here, they never do get the red tint that is possible.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 08:31:25 pm »
Hey if its week in tension why not back it with hickory or something else. Cheap supply of bow wood may be right in your back yard!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill