Author Topic: Cloth Backing???  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Cloth Backing???
« on: February 01, 2013, 03:09:47 pm »
So as some of you may know, I've got a cherry bow in the making and a ton of sassafras staves.

You might also know that both of these woods have been known for problems with tension breaks.

I'm too cheap for sinew so I think a cloth backing might be appropriate.

Do yall have any advice for application, cloth selection/quality, bow performance effects of cloth backing, etc.?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Dan
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Will H

Re: Cloth Backing???
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:14:20 pm »
I would go for some raw silk. Apply with tb3. About the same as rawhide but maybe a little lighter. As far as being to cheap for sinew... You might try the trade section. If you some stuff to trade you could score sinew and some hide glue pretty easily :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:45:44 pm »
The best backing for your money is probably 10-12Oz/yard 100% linen. Any color  ;D

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:58:53 pm »
I've used strips cut from an old bed sheet, like said before linen and it works, I thin some glue down and soak the linen in that while the glue sizes on the back, then wring out the excess glue and aplly
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:02:23 pm »
maybe use dog bone rawhide instead?

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »

I have used dog bone rawhide as a backing and it worked well, the thickness is not real consistent and can be pretty thick but you can thin it with sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease.  The one I did was thicker on one end so I cut out two strips side by side and put the thicker ends together at the handle and thin ends at the tips.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:59 pm »
I really like burlap.  It's cheap and has a really cool texture too.  Not sure if it will meet your needs as far as tension strength goes....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 03:23:01 pm »
Where does one (me  ;) ) buy/find linen or silk?
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »
I bought my linen at my local fabric store. I went to buy the thicker version but they were out. I wound up buying the thinner version which worked great! I have heard that you can pick up silk ties at the local 2nd hand store like Goodwill or Salvation Army very inexpensively.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 05:54:51 pm »

I have used dog bone rawhide as a backing and it worked well, the thickness is not real consistent and can be pretty thick but you can thin it with sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease.  The one I did was thicker on one end so I cut out two strips side by side and put the thicker ends together at the handle and thin ends at the tips.

Grady

I thin it as best I can (belt sander), and then after it is glued down to the bow, I use a scraper and scrape it so thin so that it becomes "almost" translucent.  It gets thin enough where I have to take care and make sure the bow back under the hide is not to ugly as color can be seen thru the hide.