Author Topic: Is this river cane?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Is this river cane?
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:01:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure it is but I would like to know for sure.  I've only cut cane once.  That was a couple of years ago and I cut immature shoots so I didn't get to use any.  Do these look like they are old enough to work?  I hope so.  I found a big patch right next to a HWY.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ga6693

Re: Is this river cane?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:29:36 pm »
Looks like you have found some good river cane. Trim it and let it dry and you will have some good shaft material.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:33:55 pm »
>< where can i find all this stuff! i wish i knew where you guys got all this good arrow material!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:17:19 am »
Clint, it looks like it to me, or switch cane. How tall are they? Generally river cane grows to 12' to 15' and up to 3/4" in diameter. River cane also has a large center void and relatively thin walls. The nodes are quite pronounced on river cane as is the sulcus(indentation above the nodes) but not so much with switch cane. Switch cane rarely gets over 6" tall and 1/2" in diameter. I don't see any paper sheaths at the nodes so that is usually a sign of maturity. Take the side shoots off, bundle them up and give them a month to dry.Any that are immature will wrinkle lengthwise.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:32:13 am »
>< where can i find all this stuff! i wish i knew where you guys got all this good arrow material!

It would be at least a small clue if folks had their state's name as part  of their posts.

As far as finding arrow or bow materials, you'll get so you notice it in your regular travels if there is any.

I  cut one of these same plants the other day to experiment with. It was in the flood plain between two branches of a creek here in western Kentucky. It was very stiff, even in its green condition.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:34 am »
Spend much time in the woods and you'll have stuff to use for arrows and bows practically attacking you :)

Offline thomas h

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 02:08:54 pm »
simple answer ----------yes it is  ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:37 pm »
Clint, it looks like it to me, or switch cane. How tall are they? Generally river cane grows to 12' to 15' and up to 3/4" in diameter. River cane also has a large center void and relatively thin walls. The nodes are quite pronounced on river cane as is the sulcus(indentation above the nodes) but not so much with switch cane. Switch cane rarely gets over 6" tall and 1/2" in diameter. I don't see any paper sheaths at the nodes so that is usually a sign of maturity. Take the side shoots off, bundle them up and give them a month to dry.Any that are immature will wrinkle lengthwise.

Pat, I would say they were in the 12'-15' height range and maybe 3/4"-1" diameter at the bottom.  I wish it was hill cane but I don't think we have that around here.  All I had on me was a pocket knife so I just grabbed a few shoots.  At least now I know where to go get some if I need it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
Clint, that sounds like river cane. It will make good arrows but with the more pronounced nodes they bump against the riser when drawn. They are quiet when shot if properly spined for you and your bow. River cane will probably be slightly bigger in diameter too. Find mature culms and cut the tops out to make arrows. The Cherokees wove water tight baskets and made lots of other stuff with river cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WDELongbow

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 09:33:43 pm »
That looks exactly like the stuff I have been finding in East Alabama, as well as South-Central Alabama.  I was wondering the same thing - Is it really rivercane?  I have a couple of bundles drying. Now is a good time of the year to find it because it stands out (not much green on trees). This stuff is all over the place once you get to looking. Very pronounced nodes and the indentation above each node where the growth comes out. I am guessing that with sanding and straightening (node and middle area) that these types of shafts can be made more uniform in appearance?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:58 pm »
Instead of sanding the nodes I like to heat them and roll then on a smooth hard surface with a block of wood to reduce the nodes by compressing them.