Author Topic: Chickory  (Read 2043 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Chickory
« on: January 12, 2013, 06:52:19 pm »
I've had coffee laced with chickory in the past and liked it.  The other day the local health food store (and gathering place for sickly, anemic looking people) had some roasted chickory for sale.  It was pretty expensive compared to even the fancy roast coffee, but I took a chance.

The first I brewed was just a little too dang strong.  It stained the glass in my coffee maker!  I cut it with some hot water and enjoyed a couple good cups of morning wake-up.  Nice bitterness with interesting earthy flavors.  Typically I like my coffee like I like my women....bitter.* But I think tomorrow morning I might try a dash of cream and just a hint of sweetener.

Anyone else in here a fan or chickory?

*It's an acquired taste.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TRACY

Re: Chickory
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:08:36 pm »
Yes. I like it in coffee also. Community brand coffee in Louisianna is usually what I load up on when I'm down that way. My grandparents told me that during war times I&II, this replaced coffee or was added to make the coffee go further. The plant grows crazy along most roads here and vacant lots. Has a pretty blue/purple flower to boot :D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:17:37 pm »
I tried it and it tasted nasty to me. I guess too much good coffee in Brazil and Columbia has tainted me. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:29:13 pm »
Never had it before
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:38:48 pm »
Louisean(sp) coffee used to have chickory in it.   Chickory makes good deer food too. High in protein. It grows wild around here. I think the highway dept plants it for wildlife cover and food.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 08:47:35 pm »
my brother in law said."i like my women like i like my coffee,put in a sack and slung over a mule"he is crazy.never tried chickory,but i would like to.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 06:46:49 pm »
My grandpa introduced me to chickory coffee. Brand name was "French Market" came in a pail with a wire bale and a metal lid.Made great worm buckets.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 07:00:55 pm »
my brother in law said."i like my women like i like my coffee,put in a sack and slung over a mule"he is crazy.never tried chickory,but i would like to.

I didn't know JW was your brother n law Steve! >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 07:03:08 pm »
Howdy,  I like coffee with chicory as an occasional  thing.   I like my coffee black, but with chicory added, I think it's best with cream and sugar.      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers