Author Topic: hickory backed cherry recurve?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Shondy55

hickory backed cherry recurve?
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:04:06 pm »
would it be possible to recurve a hickory backed cherry board bow.  it might be a rookie question but i need a spring turkey hunting bow!
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
Re: hickory backed cherry recurve?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:43:21 pm »
not only is it possible, it will make one of the fastest bows you can imagine. take black cherry, back it with hickory, and put a slight deflex in the handle. are you thinking working recurves or static?
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:34 pm »
Is it glued up already?

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:25:48 pm »
its not glued yet but i was thinking i would use tbIII.  and im not sure what kind of recurves i want to do, i just started recurving and im not entirely sure of the difference. and how thick should the hickory backing strip be?

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:59 pm »
Be careful to not to let the hickory over power the cherry.  Cherry is "relatively" strong in compression, but not so strong as many other woods.  So, I would advise to keep the backing strip thin (1/8 or 3/16 ") and consider trapping the back.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:46:00 pm »
yeah forgot to mention the trapping. i would leave the bow about 2 inches wide through the majority of its length as well, this has always worked for me to keep the strain minimal
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:47:02 am »
There are better options for belly wood for a short high stressed recurve than cherry,and its taking a much bigger risk using it cus cherry in most cases does not like an extreme bend. That's asking a lot of the wood and you better be good at what your doing(and with a little luck).

Pre curve your woods prior to glue up,clean em back up flat after curving and glue her up.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:12:27 am »
Correct me if I am wrong, but it was never implied that the recurve would be a short one. Because of its light weight, cherry can make a long recurve that is still quick and hoots hard. My suggestion would be to make it 64 to 68 inches long. Even though it is longer than most recurves, it will still be fast and light in the hand, due to cherry's light physical weight.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:33:54 am »
You've never gone turkey hunting have you? I sure as heck don't want a 68" bow in a turkey blind.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:44:33 am »
Twilight why do you feel it needs to be that long buddy? You just posted a 52" unbacked black cherry bow that was someting like 75 @ 29" with a 1/2" of set. Why do you feel he needs to add 16" and a hickory backing to that if he only wants a 50# (or so) bow? Seems overkill to me.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:54:19 am »
thanks for the comments guys ill be sure to post it and show you all how she turns out!