Author Topic: Found POC arrow  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Found POC arrow
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:45:42 pm »
Its been a long time since I made POC arrows or used plastic nocks. I have only one other arrow from this set in my "old arrow" quiver. On my walk this morning I found this arrow sticking up in the ground at about a 45deg angle out in the woods. One odd thing is it was facing about 90 degrees from the direction I would have shot it.  ???
   Usually when an arrow comes to the end of its life, if it is still shootable I'll shoot it off into the woods near my home. Sometimes on New Eves night, at the strike of midnight, I'll send one off in honor of our fallen brothers(and sisters) of the bow. Come to think of it I may have sent this one off for David Mims(DCM) who passed away a year or so ago after a long, heroic battle with cancer.  :'(
  Anyway, this shows one of the good characteristics of POC that makes them worthwhile as arrows; they are rot resistant. Most other wood arrow would have rotted away after the wet year we had last year. The feathers are matted down, the field point is pretty rusty and the shaft is wet, warped and flimsy. I'll give it a few days to dry out, steam the feathers back into shape,  straighten it out and probably shoot it off into the woods again.
Here are a few pics of the arrow shortly after I found it...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Found POC arrow
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:50:14 pm »
That is neat.  Just think.  A few hundred years from now, some one will be roaming around in your woods, come upon an arrow stuck up in the ground and say...."White Mans Arrow"

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:28:02 pm »
Cool. Funny though cause I do the exact same thing. When an arrow comes to the end of its life I often shoot it into the woods behind my house so that it can have one last glorious flight.

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 03:33:47 pm »
Jon, I bet I've shot 25 arrows over the years, all in the same direction and this is the only one I remember finding. I have found others behind my target but that got buried under the leaves and a few years later the feathers are gone, point totally rusted off but the shaft is still good after drying and re-outfitting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:57:56 am »
Yea, I don't remember seeing many of your arrows with plastic nocks or even cresting, must have been an oldie.  I give all my old arrows to my kids and they end up shooting them into the woods.  ;)  ;D, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)