Author Topic: heat treating over bbq pit  (Read 2589 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

heat treating over bbq pit
« on: January 08, 2013, 02:14:14 am »
I don't have a heat gun so i wanted to see if anyone can help through the process.I'm still working on the bows outline, i just wanted to get the info ahead of time.

Offline Eastman

Re: heat treating over bbq pit
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:30:10 am »
I've only done it once with a fire pit;the more experienced guys will probably give the best advice but here's some pointers  :)

After you have some hot coals (from a hardwood fire) with no more flames, i'd move the coals into a long rectangular shape so that you can heat treat the whole limb at the same time. If that isn't possible you'll just have to heat treat the limb part by part.

Assuming the coals are producing a lot of heat, hold it about 10-12'' away belly down, until it's a nice dark brown colour.
That's just how I do it, it's probably not the best way :)  Good luck!
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:59:35 am »
That should work great. Heck of a lot quieter than a heat gun. I just read recently (can't remember who posted it) about someone using a clay planter with charcoal in it to heat treat. Could probably get one of the long rectangular ones so you could do the whole limb......probably just the right depth for the coals in the bottom and rest the bow limb across the rim......hmmmm.............that gives me an idea...........
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:10:06 am »
That is a really good idea

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:18 am »
I use my heat gun, but more often than not I use my smoker to temper.  I have done the hot coal thing and it works fine, but I now light a hot fire in the fire box, close the lid and heat.  I don't have to wait for coals.  I can temper 1/2 of 1 limb at a time.  If I need to heat correct, I use the gun.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline smoke

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:14:26 am »
I've done it and it works fine.  Make sure your coals are organized so that you get even heat.  It took me about an hour to do the entire bow.  I've also used the stove top - with some woods my wife liked that . . . with others (like elm) not so much!

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:28:07 am »
havent heat treated but have heat corrected numerous times over the firepit
oughta work for heat treating too
thats how it was done for millennia  before electricity....
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 10:32:59 am »
The advice given is good.  Just make sure you reverse brace the bow even if it's only a small amount.  I have heard of bows being heat-treated this way developing some deflex in the limbs.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:02:04 am »
I have seen the same Mark.  I had an Osage bow with about 1 inch of natural deflex, mostly in one limb, increase to about 3 inches after heat treating this way.  Most have not however.  I reverse brace regardless.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 01:32:51 pm »
I wrote about heat-treating over coals in my blog.  It was my first time heat-treating/tempering bow limbs, so take it with a grain of salt.

http://echoarchery.blogspot.com/
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso