Author Topic: Nicholson 49 or 50? Can only get one  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Nicholson 49 or 50? Can only get one
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 02:24:15 am »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 09:42:44 am »
I have a 49 Brazil that is a plugging up POS. I dont use it three times a year. I use an 11" Shinto or a ferriers rasp 97% of the time. Im with a few others, if you are just looking to add a good rasp, find another brand.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 10:10:52 am »
have to agree with numerous posts, do NOT buy the modern, brazilian made nickelsons.
keep yr eyes out, new old stock nickelsons appear now and again, along with lots of old ones at estate sales, farm auctions , flea markets etc.
there is an old hardware store in kansas city, harry j epsteins(a google search shld take you to their online store), that is always on the search for these new old stock american made hand tools.
they have a crate of such nickelson farriers rasps on the way right now and should be in the store this coming week.
the owner told me they would be selling for about $15 each.
i have purchased NOS amer. made nickelson rasps from them also, tho they are currently out.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline rps3

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 11:17:36 am »
I had a 49 set aside that I ordered months ago and noticed it was was made in brazil. After reading this thread I just broke it out and put it to use...as stated, it clogged immediately. Waste of money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:37 pm »
Since I started using the Shinto a few months ago I have come to like it very much...but it is flat. I use the round side of the #49 at the fades and around dips, etc where a flat rasp doesn't work well for me. I also have some old rasps(big) that my father in law bought at flee markets 40 to 50 years ago(I've been married almost 35 years and he died a year before Marcia and I met). One of my draw knives came from him too. They were all rusty from laying around the flea market(and before) and in his garage until I got them but I could see the potential.
  Buy the best tools you can. Old tools are generally better than new ones for most folk's budgets. I started with a few old rasps, a 4 in 1, a sureform and the old draw knife for a scraper. Then a few years later a farrier friend gave me one of his old farriers rasps. Farriers buy lots of farrier rasps. After they dull a little they throw them away and get a new one. The newer ones work better on horse hooves. His old ones will remove wood faster than you can think and will also expose your knuckle joint in a heartbeat(don't ask!) if not careful so a used farriers rasp is a good cheap option.
  Watch the "Trading Post". I have put a few different tools on there that I don't use anymore as do lots of other folks. Some they get in a previous trade, some they get at flea markets, etc and some they got with the intention of using but found they didn't like. This is where you get your best deals because there is no money involved. You will have to wait for something to come up on the Trading Post unless you specifically ask for what you want and have trade items to back up your end of the trade.
  Here is another place that patience comes into play. You won't necessarily get what you want when you want it. Make due with what you have(assuming it is enough to do what you need) and build bows. Get better stuff when you can. You can build a bow with rocks as has been proven over and over again. You can build a bow with only an ax which has also been proven or a pocket knife. Its not the tools that build the bow it is you. If you want to bad enough you will no matter what tools you have or don't have.
  (my Sunday morning caffeine sermon!)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »
Also, there is a  company that sharpens rasps and files at a very reasonable rate ant the results were VERY impressive.
I believe the name is Boggs Tool and File sharpening...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 08:42:48 pm »
Thanks for all the great info gentlemen!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:10:02 am »
Tracy, I tried to google the made in USA #49 for sale and didn't come up with much.  It seems like the bowmaking community aren't the only ones that like the USA #49 and #50. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 07:13:18 am »
That's what I've seen online. Might be cheaper labor to make them in Brazil, but their not making the same product from the sounds of it.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956