Author Topic: ERC?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Ifrit617

ERC?
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »
Hey guys,

I may be able to get an ERC stave to work on once my leg heals up, and was wondering, does ERC prefer narrow and deep like a ELB or is it better suited to a wide and flat bow... I have in my head the image of a ERC English longbow with around a low 30-35# draw weight for target shooting.

Jon

Offline toomanyknots

Re: ERC?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:49:26 pm »
I'm working on a bow just like that. Except it is from an erc board, with lots of run offs. I am going to back it with silk, and hope that it lasts long enough to get a fulldraw picture at least,  >:D. I have heard this wood is quite explosive. On top of that, there is a big knot right in the middle of the board, which I hope is not a problem anymore since I put a built up non-working handle on it. I guess I am going through with it as more of an experience of working erc, rather than getting a bow out of the deal, as I know there is a slim chance I will, lol.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PaleoNinja

Re: ERC?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:05:56 pm »
ERC makes great ELB's, back it, make it deep.  Remember the Dimensions will seem very very large for how light weight the bow is since ERC is so light.