Author Topic: Update on the sinew backing from Tiretim  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Update on the sinew backing from Tiretim
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:47:06 pm »
Well, I have learned that I am the best worst bow maker around here. The sinew backing that was ugly turned out, well, uglier.  Then I must not have tillered it correctly because it cracked.  So, I have to start over.  Does any one know if cherry will make a good bow?  I have about 8 staves from a cherry tree.  And do you need to go to the heartwood or use the sap wood as the backing?  I want this one to work!  Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Update on the sinew backing from Tiretim
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:48 pm »
Anything can make "a" bow, only a handful of woods make good/great bows in my mind. My own opinion is cherry is nowhere near good bow wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:23:14 pm »
Thanks.  I needed to hear that...didn't want to but I needed to.  I'll cut me a hickory and work on that.  The oak that I used didn't fair well but it could have been me. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:36:13 pm »
Hickory, white oak, elm, ash, hackberry, Hop Hornbeam, any of those are decent/good woods in my opinion.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »
I've seen plenty of outstanding bows in various types of Cherry. I think you would have to consider it a great bow wood in the right hands.
 Even more so when it's in combination with an appropriate backing that complements it.  Maple, Silk and rawhide match it well.

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:44 pm »
Thanks Pat.  I'm going to try it because it's close to the right moisture content.  I have to cut a new hickory and that will take a while to cure.  How you ever used a hotbox or heat box to help the curing process along?