Author Topic: So many choices, what should i pick?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

So many choices, what should i pick?
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:54:12 am »
I have several staves that i could work on and im not sure which one i want to start on. I have a hickory stave that has really wavy grain that has run outs  and curves.(same stave i did my last hickory from 1.5 inches wide.)  I have a Osage (King) with some nice wiggles and is mostly chased down to one ring. I have a bunch of hackberry with some curve to it and bug holes in the top surface with very wide thick rings i could chase deeper so i could get a nice back. I also have a hickory that is almost a bow but i would need to splice in tips about 12-15 inches long because i broke the tips while recurving...my fault.

I still need to get my tillering tree done because i broke my other one, but once i get a new one i can get started. So what do you guys think? I would be open to different profiles you guys would like to see and if you dont mind drawing it it would be even better. All the staves that i have are over 60 inches long. Should i reflex/heat treat/flip tips/sinew back/ ect.   

I would be up for an abo challenge if you guys would want to see that, but probably not on my only osage.(well see  ;) ) Aside from the heat i think. But if you guys think thats a bit far then whatever lol, ill get there one day anyway.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline JonW

Re: So many choices, what should i pick?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:27:34 am »
3 words.

Short
Hackberry
Pyramid

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:10:50 am »
Easy, gather 'em up. Chuck 'em high into the air...
The one that knocks you out is the one to use >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:31:46 am »
+1 Del.  Shows that killer instinct.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:52:24 am »
I say build the Osage, burn the rest.  >:D
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:33 am »

To true will...to true  :laugh:

If I'm ever in need of some ideas n inspiration about a stave or piece of wood I run a couple Google searches. You should be able to tell and read the wood you have and what kind of bows you can make from them,and should have a general enough idea to research out those possibilities Googling them.

Or don't worry about it and just start making a bow letting the wood speak to ya.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 01:06:04 pm »
soulds like ill be doing a hackberry! maybe i will go for a 58-60 inch flipped tip hackberry pyramid.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »

Amen to that my brother
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:24 pm »
There is presious little osage up my way, i want to get some experience with other stave bows before i start on that. Unless you all want to donate a bunch of osage to make a nice osage pile  ::) ;D then i wouldnt be as reluctant to burn my other wood ::), but its my only source right now lol