Author Topic: point on  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Cyrille

• I have been active in archery since age 15
point on
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:18:48 pm »
I have been seeing this quite a lot recently in magazines but not one article explains what it is or how to determine the archer's individual "point-on" Can some  please explain to me in simple everyday English just what "point-on" is and how one can achieve it in the real world?
To Hunt, to loose, "perchance to dream."*
 Cyrille Troubadour & Archer.

* Paraphrasing Shakespeare's Hamlet

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: point on
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:42 pm »
Simple, in your peripheral vision put the tip of your arrow where you want it to go (at full draw) 
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:52:33 am »
What YB2 SAID and at some yardage the arrow will hit that spot,that is you point on,you can adjust high or low with the arrow tip depending on the distance.I don't shoot that way but I know several that do and it works good. The main thing I don't like about it is you need to know the distance.The faster and flatter the bow shoots the easier it is to shoot that way because you don't have as much trouble judging the distance or lets say it don't matter as much if you are off a few yards because of flatter trajectory. Hope this helps. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:00:35 pm »
What Pappy said.  My point of aim is 30 Yards.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 06:04:31 pm »
Good thread!  I didn't know this.   :-[
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DQ

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:21:20 pm »
Find a copy of the DVD, Masters of the Barebow, Vol 1.  I never understood this style of shooting until Rod Jenkins explained it in that video.   It's called gap shooting and, with practice, it is a deadly system, especially on targets.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 01:52:31 pm »
    Most people that use point on is gap shooters but it you shoot HOWARD HILL split vision you can use point on also.
   It pirrty simple it's the distance where if you use the arrow tip as a sight. It's where the arrow hits dead on at that distance.
  I shot instintive but always know my point on. I once shot a doe with a 67 # self bow my point on was 49 yards. I guessed her at 50 and spine shot her. That was 21 or 22 years ago. When it was more important to just kill a deer THAN HOW YOU KILLED IT. But I still send a skud or 2 at ground hogs everyyear.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING