Author Topic: Confused about Bow Building Limb Structure  (Read 1900 times)

Offline bow101

Confused about Bow Building Limb Structure
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:59:03 pm »
Exactly what profile in the photo shown is good for what.  So what Profile is good for what design, style or type of bow....? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

cheers,
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline steve b.

Re: Confused about Bow Building Limb Structure
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:48:29 pm »

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:06:54 am »
So slightly radiused. I noticed some builders go with #1 profile.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:12:04 am »
For me it depends on the wood I'm using. For compression strong woods like osage, ipe, Mulberry and yew I like a radiused belly. For weaker in compression whitewoods like hickory, ash, red and white oak I like a flat belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:31:48 am »
I was half joking, as I assumed you were talking about boards.  I don't use boards so for me the back is dictated by the back that is given.  The only thing I might do on whitewoods is trap the sides so that the back is more narrow than the belly but that is because I have not the experience with heating treating that I want.
I cut the belly as flat as I can with a large rasp and scraper then I round all 4 corners off, to some degree, to avoid stresses there.  By the time I round the edges with a tool, and then sand the edges, the belly is no longer flat but has take on a slight radius.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:44:00 am »
For me it depends on the wood I'm using. For compression strong woods like osage, ipe, Mulberry and yew I like a radiused belly. For weaker in compression whitewoods like hickory, ash, red and white oak I like a flat belly.

+1

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:34:18 pm »
I was half joking, as I assumed you were talking about boards.  I don't use boards so for me the back is dictated by the back that is given.  The only thing I might do on whitewoods is trap the sides so that the back is more narrow than the belly but that is because I have not the experience with heating treating that I want.
I cut the belly as flat as I can with a large rasp and scraper then I round all 4 corners off, to some degree, to avoid stresses there.  By the time I round the edges with a tool, and then sand the edges, the belly is no longer flat but has take on a slight radius.

>:(Oh.........hey no prob.  I do not have the space for a proper shop, work out of the garage which has a car in it during the day. Having said that, no Room for Bandsaw or Table Saw. At any rate I cannot spend hours on end Shaving a Stave with a Draw knife. I HAVE CHRONIC BACK PAIN. 2 Bad Disks in Lower Spine..!! :( :( Extremely Painfull.. So at this point in time I just devote my time to board builds, some laminated.Hopefully in the future probably in the Summer I'll get my hands on a couple staves..

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 03:22:01 am »
I like #4
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.