Author Topic: Sinew backing  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Re: Sinew backing
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 07:53:27 pm »
How do you get to your posting, Pat? 

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 08:11:45 pm »

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:59 am »
Pat, sure wished I'd have seen that before I did my first one. As a matter of fact, wished I'd have found it before I did my 2nd and my 3rd. Mine aren't pretty but they did work.. I really didn't want mine to look like a glass bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 10:24:40 am »
Yes I've seen the Korean vids on combing out your sinew.That would be the way to maximize your sinew for sure.I seem to get good performance by presoaking and dipping and putting it on straight and even thickness overlapped a bit and pressed next to the other strands.With three times the thickness down the center of limb lessening out to the edges for my crown.Very little sanding is needed to achieve the smooth overall crowned look I want.
Don't mean to rob this thread but it is related to sinew backing.Has anyone found a finish besides tung or true oil that does'nt slightly chrysal or crack on say a snake skin backing or birch bark backing?I feel lacquer or poly does a better job of creating a barrier over sinew myself.Maybe tung oil first then lacquer over that.They are compatible I know.I don't trust bear grease or parafinn either,or the need to recoat it from time to time.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed