Author Topic: harvested some yew  (Read 1269 times)

Offline danny f

harvested some yew
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:42:38 pm »
hi there, did abit of mooching around today where there a loads of big old yew trees. i managed a few decent looking staves. i got 2 67" ones and 2 49" ones there are some knots and stuff but they should give me a couple of good bows when seasoned. i also cut a yew tree that was growing straight up about 9" wide and 20 odd ft tall but when i cut it it got stuck in the branches and i couldnt move it it was to heavy for me should get some good wood from it but will have to figure a way to get it down to cut into decent lengths. heres some pics of what i got.

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: harvested some yew
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 03:48:09 pm »
looks good.  Seal those backs and ends up really well, really soon.  Yew often drys into deflex when the bark is removed.  Sealing the back well might limit that. 

Climb up and cut out the branches that are holding that 20 footer up there, or cut nock in the base of the tree and hook a winch or come along to it.  Or let it season as it is and think about how you will get it out for the next year or so. ;D

Looks like they split real straight, or is that bandsawed?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:48:16 pm »
Sweet score. Lots of knots but still some bows in there. Did you seal up the backs really well?

Offline danny f

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 04:08:23 pm »
cheers yep sealed the ends with wood glue and the backs with pva glue. now the wait begins :( i will think of a way to get that tree down while im waiting lol.

Offline danny f

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 04:08:50 pm »
yes they are split now sawed.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 05:00:40 pm »
The one on the right in the lower pic looks to have a nice ELB right up the middle :D.
I leave the bark on for about 9months...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »
Don't know where you live but I have found that a rifle does a good job of cutting unwanted branches off a tree, assuming that the tree is hung up on branches.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com