Author Topic: Another tree ID - Chittum?  (Read 25545 times)

tradrick

Re: Another tree ID - Chittum?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 11:57:02 am »
DanaM and Calendargirl thanks for the info.tradrick

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 12:00:56 pm »
Cowboy, I meant say buckthorn, not buckhorn. Looks like Rhamnus caroliniana.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 12:02:41 am »
well cowboy what did you figure out?   ???  red bay tree?
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 12:11:01 am »
Hehe, sorry Marie. I haven't had the time to dive into those sites yet - I will, promise ;D. My air card is dead at the moment, and dial up is killin me. I hate to comit to anything, but tomorrow I'll force myself to find that tree ;D. Thanks fer all the help so far all.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 12:16:27 am »
if you have a scanner.  I scanned some leaves on mine and it showed a lot of detail.  I am confused that you are so busy you haven't had time to figure this out...what do you like work or something?   ;D

Offline cowboy

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 12:21:45 am »
Don't have a scanner here. What, work? me? ;D. Only labor of love while I'm at the cassa - worked on some bows, this necklace thingy, and spent mojority of the day on Brazos river pickin flint - Oh yeah! what a peaceful day :).

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 06:02:02 pm »
OK folks (drumroll) - I found it!! I think :-\. Ralph, I couldn't get your site to come up. Marie: In the enature.com site I found two that look almost Identical. One is a Lotebush/Graythorn/Texas Buckthorn - almost perfect match, cept is says up to 10' tall and I've seen em 20'  ???. The other is a Common Privet, which looks identical and (they say) grows to 15'. Hmm, it's one of them - it sure ain't Chittamwood, found that one too and it's not even close. Maybe I'll do some more diggin later - thanks fer help all!! :)

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 06:41:08 pm »
I saved part of the .pdf as a image see if this helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 08:57:33 pm »
That picture's not quite it Ralph, but after goin through all those pages (head spinning) I am now certain that it is one of Buckthorn's. I'm goin to settle with that, and looks like the old timers weren't all wrong using Chittum as slang or common name. Preciate the help :).

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 12:31:16 am »
That picture's not quite it Ralph, but after goin through all those pages (head spinning) I am now certain that it is one of Buckthorn's. I'm goin to settle with that, and looks like the old timers weren't all wrong using Chittum as slang or common name. Preciate the help :).

settle?  settle?  What you are settling?  Thought you weren't s'posed to "settle"  we need a "for sure!".  Oh mailman brought pkg in mail for minicalendargirl.  She will get it when she returns from the great state of Tx visiting her grandparents!  First solo trip...dang goes by fast!   :P
So the leaves didn't smell?  i would think privet would have a shrubbier look.  We have an ag place here that checks things for free...I bet there are some aggies that will help you out!  Send 'em a clipping.  ;D  the enature site is pretty neat though isn't it.

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 12:33:08 am »
This is what Mirriam Webster has to say...

cascara+sagrada
One entry found for cascara sagrada.

Main Entry: cascara sa·gra·da
Pronunciation: -s-gräd-
Function: noun
: the dried bark of cascara buckthorn used as a mild laxative -- called also cascara, chittam bark
so chew on it for a while let us know if it works then you have your id!  >:D

Offline cowboy

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 11:48:34 am »
Good ya got package - yep time keeps on tickin, this whole granddad thing don't feel right somehow :). That sounds like the simplest thing to do (mail a clipping to tha experts) put this thing ta rest. Laxative? no thank ya ;D.

Robinwho

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 01:09:48 pm »
We call those black olive in Florida and they make good bows ,but you must let it dry at least 2 years without debarking it.