Author Topic: Cherry board bow build along  (Read 12993 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Cherry board bow build along
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 07:49:01 pm »
My wood is basically kept outside(garage) This summer some cascara was at 18% and I checked it yesterday .....24% :)

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 01:57:30 pm »
Don't give up on the boards if you have them. Just treat them different. If you hed a stave explode ,would you give up on them?  Blend your experiences with those of others to get a more complete picture of a design or species. That's what these sites are for . Good luck.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »
thank you :) i think i will back the rest of them, and see if they fare better. I have a large assortment of useless silk ties, will these be strong enough to hold it together? if i layer them, maybe?
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 02:42:50 pm »
That will keep you busy while you go cut some HHB staves. That stuff usually grows near beech which grows near cherrry up here, often times anyway.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 03:56:49 pm »
ive never worked with HHB. i dont know if i could pick it out this time of year if i saw it. the bark is shaggy like hickory, right?
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

blackhawk

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »
Search out pics of Hophornbeam bark...its easy to identify..and when you find one there will be a grove of them...n I have seen lots of nice hophornbeam in and around the Holland area(where I'm from)...nicer than the stuff around here where I live now(pa)...there is Osage in the area too and I know where somes at >:D

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »
oh really? i do like working with osage, too. but my experience with osage is limited to straight, knotless, problem free staves. i need to get myself a piece of character osage, so i can get a real impression of it. the only osage tree that i know of is about a 5 minute drive from me, but its on a nature preserve :( my luck for ya. so i have an offer for you: if you have a piece of character osage that you would be willing to get rid of i will send you a piece of hornbeam in exchange when i find some :)