Author Topic: long string?  (Read 3532 times)

Offline chessieboy

long string?
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:26:33 pm »
I have my stave roughed out. I have a long string on it now.  My question is at what point (what length of pull) do you go to a short string? Right now I have my long string at about 10" of pull (from the spot it comes tight to the end of the stretch). Its still under my desired poundage at that range so I'm not over stressing it.  Should I go to the short string or take a little more wood off first?

Thanks
Bill

Offline stiknstring

Re: long string?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:27:48 pm »
I followed along with one of these guys who puts a string on at low brace after getting to draw wiegh +/- five pounds at ten inches of travel.  Others will weigh in and I wont be surprised that I am doing it wrong and then I will change but thats what I do.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 04:36:50 pm »
As soon as you can. Get it bending fairly evenly on the long string. I usually go to a low brace as soon as i can physically brace the thing and it's relatively even. Staying on the long string too long can make you end up with a whip-tillered bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:30:21 pm »
As soon as you can. Get it bending fairly evenly on the long string. I usually go to a low brace as soon as i can physically brace the thing and it's relatively even. Staying on the long string too long can make you end up with a whip-tillered bow.
Can also make you come in way under weight. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah