Author Topic: Proper arrow flight.  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
Proper arrow flight.
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:01:07 pm »
I have heard time and time again on the proper way an arrow should fly. It really flies great, I watched as it flew and its not as good as my others... I have to ask.. How do you know? What does it mean for an arrow to fly properly? I understand the spine wieght and fletching spiral but that all helps with flight. I havent read anything about proper flight or found anything. I know it should fly straight as with any common sense idea, but where do we go from there?
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Proper arrow flight.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 02:17:33 pm »
It should spin in flight without the tail waggling or the nose up either.
Pointy end first is a good thing too ::).
As it leaves the bow it should flex a bit and settle down pretty quick (say in 5 yards). So it should stick into a target straight at any range greater than about 5 yards.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 02:18:04 pm »
Well, there are two criteria that I measure an arrow against. 

1) does it wag like a happy dog's tail at dinner time?  If so, we got ourselves a spine issue that needs resolution.  If it is too stiff of a spine, I can add a heavier point, or sand the shaft to lighten spine.  If it is too light, I may have to shorten the arrow (if possible), or relegate that arrow to being shot from a lighter bow.

2) does it stand in the target with the rest of the set, or is it a "flyer".  Every once in a while I get a maverick arrow that won't group.  Since I number my arrows in a set, this is fairly easy to spot.  These arrows often get "sacrificed" by shooting at a rock. 

Arrows that "porpoise" up and down are simply nocking issues and not the arrow's fault.  Arrows have a very limited number of problems.  Likewise, there are a limited number of solutions.  The archer and subsequent quality of his/her release is quite another issue.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:05:38 pm »
Ah that helps! Thanks Ive seen alot of "bad flight" but never understood what "good flight" should look like.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 04:18:17 pm »
Good fligt is often hard to judge unless you are shooting against a very light colored background without much detail on it.  For years I shot against a white mesh curtain.  Poor arrow flight quickly became apparent. 

Good arrow flight, from the archer's point of view, looks like a nock with rotating fletching!  And that's about it!

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »
Thank you Halverson... Ill look for that when I finish my arrows.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:27:39 am »
  First off when I'm trying a arrow out is the only time I look at my arrows in flight. A big NO-NO when practicing or shooting at anything.
  I know is might sound weird. Ofcorse you have to have the arrow spined to the bows weight. But even when it's the right spine, head weight,fleathing's. Your arrow flys good. But I fine turn my arrows a bit. Like I said it's weird but I only hunt with arrows that seams to just jump off the bow. Ofcorse I only build bows anymore with center shot shelfs. This is the only way you get that perfect arrow flight right off the shelf to the target.
  I'm sure theirs people on here. Exspecially the old timers that shoot a lot. Know just what I'm talking about.
 I think it's more to do with not just that arrow but that arrow with the bow your hand eye. Just fits all together better. Which just makes that arrow seam to jump off the bow when shot. I can't explain it but you know it when it al comes togeter and it happens.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:15:30 pm »
I don't want to see anything but nock as it flys to the target. Anything else I ant happy with. >:(  Like others have said if it's wagging like a dogs tail or jumps side ways off the bow or hits the target tail high or low /left or right tail I do something to it or discard it. And like JW said once in a while you will get a flier,it seem to fly straight [no wobble] but don't hit where you look,it also get discarded.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:33:53 pm »
Well.. lol So far not one of my arrows I made has passed.  :( (mostly Im guessing cus I havent spined them.  ::)) Im building my spine tester which is underway along with my hackberry stave and and like 4 other projects. The bow Im shooting is roughly 50 lbs. Ill post the tester when its finished along with other stuff.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:22:37 pm »
And like JW said once in a while you will get a flier,it seem to fly straight [no wobble] but don't hit where you look,it also get discarded.  :)
   Pappy

And real men need plenty of high quality tomato stakes!   ;D

Offline Stalkingfox

• Innerfield
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 05:35:33 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAAHHAAA!!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 05:42:47 pm »
 I ain't being funny!  Real men grow biiiiig 'maters!  Biiiiig 'maters need lotsa stakes!

Sometimes your 'maters get so big you just have to break down and bust bows so you can use the limbs cuz the shafts aren't spined heavy enough!