Author Topic: cherokee bow design?  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Dictionary

Re: cherokee bow design?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »
how accurate can we say TTBB 2 is anyhow? Al herrin denied the simple fact that most of the cherokee used 2 fletch.....when in fact they did. Then he generalizes that the accepted length for a hunting bow is 61 inches and war bow is 72? This seems too much influenced by european standards.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 07:09:27 pm »
Many diagrams and discriptions of Cherokee and geographically-related Choctaw and Seminole bows and arrows in Jim Hamm's books.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 12:06:35 am »
Like many of the Eastern Woodlands Indians, the Cherokee used D'bows with a rectangular cross section and "diamond" shaped tips.  Bows were built in different sizes and strengths depending on the intended use and individual preference.  I don't think there was a particular style associated with the Cherokee.  Black locust and hickory seemed to be the most common bow woods used.  Arrows were often made from split hickory.  The strings were most often made from twisted rawhide.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr