Author Topic: a perfect board!!  (Read 1143 times)

Offline bushboy

a perfect board!!
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:03:25 pm »
Hey all,after making a triP to the city and rifling thru thousands of board feet of rock maple I have found the best plain saw board to date!the board follows one growth ring on average 3 " wide for 64" of it's length and almost dead center of an 8" board.I have been building for about 4 years now and have about 14 shooters to date after breaking as many more thru trail and error but my smart phone is smarter than me so I gave up trying to post pictures. My draw leght is 27" and would like to make a 55 to 60 # draw weight self bow and about 60 ntn .any design advice for maple would be greatly appreciated!thx's bobby joe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: a perfect board!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »
Glad to hear it, bushboy.  I look forward to hearing how it turns out.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:18:55 pm »
My draw leght is 27" and would like to make a 55 to 60 # draw weight self bow and about 60 ntn .any design advice for maple would be greatly appreciated!thx's bobby joe!

My first advice is to make it longer.  At least 64." Next, make it wide--that's asking a lot for maple.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »
64" ttt, 1/2" tips, 1 3/4 fades, pyramid taper, start your thickness just a skosh under 1/2", even thickness the full length, i build a lot of maple just like this, draw # should be what you want , Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 07:11:09 pm »
Best I can do scott d is to email aphoto ,send me a pm with your em and will do. Regards bobby joe.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.