Author Topic: ERC Static Recurve  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Murphy95

ERC Static Recurve
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:19:00 am »
Hi Bowyers,

my name is Felix, I am 17 years old and from Germany. I am new to this forum and to "real" bow building, but member in an Archery Club fpr nearly 3 or 4 years now.
At the moment im at an ERC Bow. I searched about the wood, but always found it as a Longbow or core lamination, but in the best case I would like to have a short Static Recurve Bow with a pistol grip und a shelf. My idea was to back the cedar with a Hickorybacking.
My question is now: Is a static recurve a possible bow design for a cedar bow with hick backing, because my main problem is, the stave has only 3cm in width an 2,5cm in thickness (all heartwood). So, is it possible to make static recurve with a nearly pistol grip out of it? I read somewhere about forward or reverse risers but not sure... :(
Hope you could help me :)

Greetings, Felix

PS: Please donīt mind if my English is not the best, English is not my best subject in school, ut iīll try ;)

blackhawk

Re: ERC Static Recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:30:59 am »
Is it possible?... yes I think so..but it depends on who's making it....how many and what type of bows have you made? If this is your first time I wouldn't try to build that. How long is your piece of ERC? And what's your draw length and your intended weight with it?

Offline Murphy95

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:36:41 am »
Oh yeah, forgot weight etc.
So, drawlenght should be 26" with 45-50 pounds drawweigt, so 50#@26". I will not be drawn further, i am not the tallest person :D
Bows, a few. One in a course (with some kidn of teacher), a Ash Longbow with Hickorybacking. And a Manau (donīt know the english word, its a liana and unbreakable). So I have a little experience,  but not very much.
The Cedar has a length of nearly 72", the Hickory too.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:47:44 pm »
I wouldn't try and get too much bend out of it.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Murphy95

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 05:52:26 pm »
Okay,

then I think a Static Recurve is not the best Idea.
What Design should I use instead? My main .."wish" is a stiff handle with shelf (if possible) and still 45 to 50 pounds at 26" drawlenght, what design would do it best ?

Greetings, Felix

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:42:50 pm »
Reverse brace and back with sinew :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Murphy95

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:41 pm »
Mhmmm....

I woudlnīt like to back it with sinew because of 2 factors:

First, ich have no sinew :D Just the Hick Backing (And for sinew itself i still have a better wood at home ;) elder)
Second, I think the ERC Stave is a bit to narrow witch just 3cm, isnīt it? Iīm not sure?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:28:43 am »
Mhmmm....

I woudlnīt like to back it with sinew because of 2 factors:

First, ich have no sinew :D Just the Hick Backing (And for sinew itself i still have a better wood at home ;) elder)
Second, I think the ERC Stave is a bit to narrow witch just 3cm, isnīt it? Iīm not sure?

I agree that's probably too narrow for anything but an English long bow. I've used many different woods for bows. Only one ERC, and I was not favorably impressed. I do think backing it with hickory is a good plan, even for an ELB.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 03:59:34 am »
Forgot that it was that narrow. Hickory is a good choice. I've had good results with silk.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Murphy95

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 07:26:22 am »
Okay, then hereīs the new plan:

Hickory Backing 4mm at the handle and 3mm at the tips
66" long
static handle (just simple, with a little piece of wood, but without a pistol grip or so)
No Shelf, just a "Pfeilauflage" sorry, donīt know the English word for that..., something like the leather at the grip on the laminated bow in the TBB4.
MAYBE slightly flipped tips.
Glued with a bit reflex 3" or so

My only question then would be the width, straight from 3cm at the fades to 1cm at the tips or some kind of semi-pyramidal ?

Greetings, Felix

PS: Ahhh, Iīm still a little bit confused about the time :D Here in Germany itīs nearly 11:59 a.m. :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:29:32 am by Murphy95 »