Author Topic: Hawthorne staves  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Lakota

Hawthorne staves
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:27:16 pm »
Just harvested two Hawthorne staves,  and was wondering whats the best method for drying them?
Any and all advice will be much appreciated. One is 1 an 1/2 in dia. the other is about 4in. thanks a lot.
Lakota

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: Hawthorne staves
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:06:08 pm »
Cool, i love hawthorn as a bow wood. You can take the bark off if ya want but make sure to seal them real good if you do, cuz they will split on the ends and sometimes along the side. KEEP THEM WHOLE! If you rough them out and then keep em in the corner they'll warp like crazy. If you want to rough them out and then clamp em that's an option too. Good luck, hawthorn is a really great wood! Can be tough to dry tho...
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hawthorne staves
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:24:58 am »
Zion, I've never worked hawthown but this is how I treated a 2" peach sucker...

I bound it to the form after cutting out the belly. Its been 6 to 8 months and I'm starting to work on it.
  On the 4" I'd split it in half and bind both halves back together with wood spacers between the two. The spacers will allow good air circulation and with both halves bound together they will help each other from warping.  I've done this with small diameter osage with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC