Author Topic: apple question  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

apple question
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:40:37 am »
I cut a piece of apple wood back in early sept. It is a branch about two inches in diameter. I left it unsplit with bark on because I heard it checks really easy. Is it ok to rough it out at this point and let it dry faster or will it still check?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: apple question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:14:07 am »
It should be OK to work now. If you remove the bark now be sure to seal the back. I keep a spray can of Bullseye shellac on my work bench all the time and seal all newly exposed backs, no matter how old the stave is.
 I cut a 2" peach sucker last winter. I left it whole for about a month then cut out a rough bow shape and bound it to a form in reflex. Not long ago I removed it from the form. I've just started back building bows after a drought period and have this "peach" of a stave in my go to pile with a few others.
  Keep us posted on your progress.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:06:09 am »
ok thanks Pat! how is peach as a bow wood?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 10:39:07 am »
Its pretty light weight physically but seems strong and resilliant. I'll let you know how it goes from here as I progress.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:07 pm »
Save the shavings off the fruitwood bows, they work great in the smoker. :)  Good luck on the bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 01:19:34 pm »
Pat you've been teasing us with this peach bow for almost a year now! Can we please get a peek at it!!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »
I'll take a pic when I get back in the shop. Not much done on her though. I'm just starting back up after a long drought.  ::)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 04:53:58 pm »
Yeah keep us updated on the peach bow. Also I will store the apple stave near my wood stove which goes 24/7.  I cut it in sept. How long does a two inch diameter debarked piece of apple take to dry in these conditions?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 05:28:06 pm »
Lee, take it down to floor tiller stage and it will dry quicker. I bound the peach sucker to a form to induce some reflex but also to keep it from twisting as it dries.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:00:03 pm »
ok I'll give it a go tomorrow