Author Topic: peep sights for aging eyes  (Read 2375 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

peep sights for aging eyes
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:58:34 pm »
   Geeezzee!   I   have   been  in  denial  about  my  eyes,,till  I  ended up w\bifocals a  little  over a year  ago :o   what  a  pain!!!  and  I  just  couldn't  stand  the  thought  of  scoping  all  my  rifles,,,we (new york)  just  got  a  whole  bunch  more  areas  opened up  for  rifles,,,,and  my mod. 94 top eject  just sits  there,,,,,,,till  I  finally,,just  bit  it  and  ordered  a  "Williams econo  peep",  well  she's  sighted  in  and  I  don't  ever  remember  hitting  steel targets past  50  yards  off hand  this  well????  I'm   talking  the  rabbits  and  prairie dogs !!!!   Well  this  turned  out   great!!!!!!now  I  guess  I  may  have  to  replace  my  lee  classic  for  regular  dies????  cause  this  may  get  out  of  hand.  I  just  wanted  to  post this  so  no   geezer's  pet  rifle   collects  dust  any  more  JeffW

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: peep sights for aging eyes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:48:59 pm »
I was sold on peep sights a long time ago.  I put peep sights on my lever action .44 mag about 15 years ago.  With the right handload it will shoot 3" groups at 100 yards, with a scope that 3" groups turns into 1 1/2" groups.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:55:51 pm »
My .300 has a leopold and the AR-15 has a nikon, sure makes it easier when the light goes down. But all of my Black powders are unscoped.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:44:13 am »

I love peep sights, I have a Remington model 8 in 35 Remington, and it has a Williams folding peep sight on the stock grip, and the regular sights on the barrel.
I want a 1917 model in 30-06, because it has the peep sight, and it is back where it needs to be.  Plus I just love the action on it.  I have an 03-A3 with a peep sight, but it is a poor excuse, compared to the 1917.  I have two 03-A3s actually, and one 03 with the standard sights, and they all shoot great, but I just prefer 1917.  Went to a funeral here, and the the guys from the American Legion doing the gun salute, had 1917's.  They let me check them out.  I told them if they ever wanted to trade for an 03 to let me know. ;) 8)  I want to get some "Ghost" rings for my Marlin 45-70.  They are peep sights, but a larger diameter hole.  So you can get a quick sight picture, especially in thick brush.  Sounds you are doing OK now. ;)

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:38:56 pm »
Got peeps on my cheapie CVM .50 shortbarrelled caplock.  Slugged a small whitetail doe in the ribs with a hail-mary shot at 140 yds once!  Normally I would have not even considered the shot, but I had been shooting for quarters all summer at our muzzleloader clubs 140 yd gong and it was all cake to me!  She was dumb enough to stand there while I took several breaths to steady my nerves, found the right cheek weld, got the barrel under control and doing the sweet spot figure 8...and blammo. 

Lot to be said for peeps.  Lot to be said for shooting practice all year long with the same load you hunt with, too!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 11:15:21 pm »
Yep !  Put a williams peep on the side of my 94 , .32 Win. spl. Shoots like a dream. She's back in the stable. Now to find bullets.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 02:14:09 am »
Hmm, I'm having problems focusing with the open sights. I hadn't thought of a peep sight. Thanks.
Gordon

Offline drwilson

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 01:25:06 pm »
Hey Fellows, I was having trouble with open sights until I discovered The Merit Corp.
That device works good for me now. Take a look, meritcorporation.com
I like mine.    Densil

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:51:57 pm by mullet »

Grunt

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 08:34:42 pm »
I shot 49 out of 50 prone at 500 yards with peep sights. I was shooting a M-14 at USMCRD Parris Island SC. Of course I was 18 at the time. Had the same type of weapon for half my Vietnam tour.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 04:28:12 pm »
    Grunt,  that's  cool !    hey  thanks  for  your  service !   did  those  kick  much? and I  thought  I  read  some  where  M-14's  are  still  in  use?  JeffW

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:16:27 pm »
Where did you find that peep? I'm looking for one to put on my BrnoVZ23
Thanks Leroy
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:39:50 pm by Stoker »
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Grunt

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 10:19:44 pm »
    Grunt,  that's  cool !    hey  thanks  for  your  service !   did  those  kick  much? and I  thought  I  read  some  where  M-14's  are  still  in  use?  JeffW
In Vietnam my M-14 had a selector and a bipod because I was automatic rifleman for my fireteam. The M-14 would knock you back a bit but when the targets were shooting back I would never feel the recoil. Same recoil as a 30 06.