Author Topic: my trapline is frustrating me  (Read 2223 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

my trapline is frustrating me
« on: December 10, 2012, 11:02:55 pm »
for the past few days ive been having something come up to my traps and dig them up out of the ground without setting most of them off. Of course where i trap the ground has alot of shale and slate so its pretty hard to get good tracks so i have no idea what is digging them up. i know this area is filled with red and grey fox and a few bobcat and ive seen a few yotes around too.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: my trapline is frustrating me
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:15:19 pm »
There is a reason many Native American tribes referred to the coyote as Trickster.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 11:18:45 pm »
yea tell me about i havent had near this much trouble on my traplines before.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:23:27 pm »
Maybe it is time to completely revisit your scent removal process.  Something obviously ISN'T working.  Save a trap or two from this current process and use it for bait on the new traps.

Set one old trap the way you have always done it.  And then ring it 4 ft out with traps that you use a different de-scenting protocol.  The critter will go for what it already understands and may forget to look for the other traps. 

And if this doesn't work, remember, I'm not a trapper, but I play one in my mind. 

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 12:29:46 am »
Jdub may be on to something.make a regular set,then make a totally different set near by and see what happens.couldn't hurt.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 05:00:08 pm »
  I'd  say  fox,,  and do  exactly  what  J-dub said,,,.  and  maybe lay  a  branch  on the  ground as to limit the approach  angles ??  and lay  a couple trail sets un-baited and as scent free  as  possible leading  to  the  baited trap,,,,,now  be prepared  to  disspatch  a  yote  thats  been  caught  by  the  hind leg,,, ;),, don't  ask how I know this.    also  maybe  leave  a drop of  curiosity scent on a low  hanging  branch  above  the  set,,,,as  they  get  comfy  flipping  your trap  they'll  step  in to it  while sniffin  what  the heck it  was.   man  I  miss  trapping!!!   JEFFW

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 09:33:03 pm »
I have had coon an grey fox dig me up more times than i like . Just stepped back a foot or so an placed a clean trap an some guide sticks an usually caught the culprits. Sometimes if pressed for time I just leave the educated ones for seed an move on to skim off the easy ones at a differnt location. ;D ;D Bob

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:44 am »
thank JW thats a good idea ill try it today and see what happens and thanks for thae advice everyone.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 01:35:21 pm »
set a trap with a hidden trail cam - mebbe its not an four legged animal diggin up your traps.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »
Skunks?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:55 pm »
Nothin' worse than two legged skunks diggin' up your traps.

I agree with the trail cam!  That would be a Ph.D. level education! 

youngbowyer

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:15 pm »
I agree, go with the trail cam. So far my trapline had only yielded 2 stray cats :-X

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 08:57:04 pm »
so far this year i've only trapped 16 coon and a pheasant (accident), i can't figure out where all the coyotes went off to, i've only shot 7 so far this winter and havent caught any in traps. i'd say leave the old trap and make a completely different set about 8-10 yards away and make sure you use a clean trap and different bait. 
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 09:14:46 pm »
Set your trap upside down. When it slides paw underneath to turn it over you will catch him.  ;)
Steve Bennett

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:07 am »
hhhmmm.. havent thought of that turtle maybe that will work. all ive caught this year is some opossum, a feral cat and a grey fox. oh and apparent i had a crow bt the beak the other day. went to check my line and one was set off and upon closer inspection found the whole beak from a crow still in the jaws but no crow :o . never had that happen before either lol.