Author Topic: Vine Maple Kids bows  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Vine Maple Kids bows
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:52:26 pm »
Finished a couple of kids bows for a friend of mine.  His two boys are twins coming up on 5 years old.  In the pictures are my two little ones modeling the bows.  I can't help but smile while making them.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Adam

Re: Vine Maple Kids bows
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:53:26 pm »
Cute kids!  They sure look like they're having fun.  Way to go!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:31:06 am »
Those are great. Nice work Carson. There's Keaton with his impeccable form as usual.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:34:36 am »
Great bows......although I'm a little disappointed in your sons shooting form in some of those pictures  :laugh:

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:40:03 am »
It's hard to shoot and be a ham for the camera at the same time.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:50:03 am »
Great bows......although I'm a little disappointed in your sons shooting form in some of those pictures  :laugh:

Steve, he won't admit it, but he is a bit over bowed there and it is killing his form.   :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks Weylin, yeah is a bit of a ham in front of the camera.  His big sister on the other hand gets a bit shy.

Thanks Adam.
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 02:23:50 am »
Carson That is fantastic. Good for you for passing on the tools and inspiration for the next generation. Your two kids are down right adorable.  We chuckle every time we start sifting through the Rendezvous pictures and see them.
 The bows are great! Love how you left the character bark on the handles. Tillering looks perfect

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:29:29 am »
Priceless.
Gordon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:06:07 am »
That's the way to do it right there.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:28:12 am »
Great :laugh: I love to see 'em having a go when they are young, you can't wind the clock back once those years are gone.
Mrs Cat was sorting out our old family photos, I was surprised and pleased to see how many there were of my kids with bows in their hands when they were little :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:11 am »
Nice couple of bows, there...n...nice models. You should take that show on the road!! ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 11:49:31 am »
Nice looking kids bows there Carson, those twins should love them. I just finished a bl pee-wee bow for my 3 1/2 yr old grandson and have to say it was a tough build, those small bows are difficult. Also cute pictures of your kids , nice looking family. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 01:42:19 pm »
Thanks guys.  I tried leaving the bark on full length, but when I did some long test pulls to check for safety the bark began to crack and pop. So I scraped the limbs clean. 

Del, I am grateful to find pictures of me and my brothers shooting bows in the backyard as youngsters when I sift through mom and dads photos.  Your kids will probably appreciate it too. 

Greg, the kids bows are tricky to tiller. I started with a piece of cascara that was reflexed, but developed a hinge near the fade, after one careless swipe of the drawknife.  I went back to my old kid bow standby, Vine maple.  This was the first time I used a couple of pieces with natural deflex.  I figured it would make it easy for the twins to string and unstring it themselves, and I doubt they will notice a lack of performance.   :D