Author Topic: Heat Treating Rock  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
Heat Treating Rock
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:02:53 pm »
Here is what I did last weekend.Getting ready to make a turkey tail point out of some Texas river, and thought if it was heated it would make it easier on me. This rock is very stubborn. I'm sure many of you have done this and there are many different ways to heat treat. For those of us who can build a fire outside this is what I've done. First clean out the fire pit, dig out about two inces of dirt, no need to build a warm up fire because the ground here is very dry. Place the stones in the pit, Ive picked out several different types to see the affects, some are very hard aggate that I havent been able to do anything with. Cover them up and start the fire. I started the fire on Friday evening after work about 5:30 and kept feeding it until bed time at 11. Saturday at 5am, while on my way out to the deer stand, I piled wood on and made sure it reignited. Then kept it going until about 2pm saturday afternoon. Let the ground cool till monday after work and heres what I got. Only one piece of texas shattered but it broke into usable pieces.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:11:38 pm by Knapper »
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
Re: Heat Treating Rock
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:07:09 pm »
Here is the rock after the heat. The one on the left is untreated in the first two pics. The other seemed to darken some what. Here is the pic. also of the one piece of texas that broke, The pieces are like glass and very sharp. From my preliminary tries it has worked quite well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:13:22 pm by Knapper »
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline seider

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:12:25 pm »
That Texas Rick that broke may have had some moisture in it still in some pockets I had that happen to me in my wife's toaster oven she did not
Like that much we have a new toaster oven now. One day I will get a turkey roaster and can do it right and more buying toaster ovens.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:57:26 pm »
Texas stone, like everyone elses likes , heats better (safer) with thin spalls. Thicker stones can be treated, but it must be done very slowly. Roasters are safer for large chunks. The heating process can be better controlled. With that said I think you will like Texas rock.  Tower.  PS I'd rather heat Abo also, I just can't lately.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!