Author Topic: Scale flaps?  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Scale flaps?
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:50:12 pm »
I'm reworking my painted Osage and put python skins on it. I've managed to get most of the scales off, though they're very stubborn. I've use some tactics you guys suggested on other posts, but I'm wondering if anyone has the little scale flaps that are left after scaling. I'm thinking that they'll lay down and blend in with some tru oil over them, but I'm not sure. Anyone else come across this? I've searched the topics, but couldn't find anything.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Scale flaps?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:50 pm »
I don't worry about the texture of the scale scars. I just put 4 to 6 coats of Tru-oil and a quick spray od satin poly (to cut the shine).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:01:05 am »
I'd imagine the tackiness of the tru oil holds them down while it cures?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 12:12:26 am »
It seals them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:19:27 am »
I just put a coat  of tru oil on,wait a day,buff in the direction of the scales with 000 steel wool [head to tail] and then add another coat,I will keep this up until it is slick,takes more of some of the heavier skins than something like copper heads or thin skin snakes,but if will be patient and stay at it they will all get slick in time.
Sometimes takes 10 coats on thicker skins. I use tru oil in the bottle,rub on. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online sleek

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:38:40 pm »
A very watered down mix of TBIII will hold the skin flaps down, then after it has dried, use a ight sand paper, 220 grit is the roughest you should use, and that will knock the rest of the roughness off. Seal it afterwards with whatever you want.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:55:27 pm »
Ed Scott used watered down TBII to seal his snake skins.  They are super smooth. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 07:07:40 pm »
Used the watered down TBIII trick. Didn't seem to work at first. I went over the skin with my finger in the direction of the scales about 5-6 times and the water softened the flaps and laid them down. The skin's as smooth as silk now. Thanks for the info, guys. :)