Author Topic: New Flatbow and new Snow!  (Read 7295 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: New Flatbow and new Snow!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 06:30:57 pm »
Thanks for the comments!
 Muffin, we sure do get alot of pandas this time of year! Always eating my trees! (not much bamboo around here)   ::) ;D

Ryan, the brace height is about an inch over my thumb and fist. I might shorten it tho, seems just a little high.
Another reason why i think i got some set is because it started out with like an inch already + It seasoned for like 2 weeks only. I still have a fair bit to learn about heat treating. it seemed to work really well on my hawthorn bow. Took less than an inch of set and has a similar design. Maybe serviceberry doesn't take heat quite as well as hawthorn?

The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 07:11:26 pm »
Ah. So really it's just an inch of set with the included 1" of initial deflex? The deflex would actually help with such a short bow. Could be that it wasn't dry enough but 75# out of a bow that short is asking a lot so set should be expected.

Offline Zion

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 07:16:37 pm »
Exactly. I was actually trying to make this bow a bit heavier, and when i initially tried bracing it the deflex was really handy. (didnt try to flip outa my hands.) I think the universal decision is to either have a lighter reflexed bow, or a heavier bow with set, at least during the early stages.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 07:44:36 pm »
Zion, the same thought comes to mind every time I see a photo of you drawing one of those heavy bows: "How on earth does he do it!" You don't look like you weigh much more than the draw weight of that bow. There are some guys on other forums who like to brag about shooting 70# and 80# bows. If they pulled as much compared to their weight as you do, they'd be pulling 180-200#! I think they are wimps compared to you.

Me? I can comfortably shoot a 50# bow, might pull a 60#, but that's it. I weigh about 165.

Great work on the bow. I  only made one serviceberry bow. It was made from about a 2" sapling andi pulled 40#.
 Do you have nice straight serviceberry in your neck of the prairie?

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Zion

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 08:06:56 pm »
Thanks Jim! I'm 120 lbs. Since i'm a wrestler i try not to eat much, but i still work out ALOT. The result is that i don't gain much muscle weight but instead strengthen the muscles i already have. Instead of bulking up and having less defined muscles your body just gets lean and cut, so you weigh less, but have the same muscle capacity.( A really good strategy for non-linemen  ;D)

The serviceberry ranges from twisted to straight. For one, the pieces i harvest usually aren't big enough to split so that's an advantage. It grows EVERYWHERE though!!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 08:52:16 pm »
Really nice bow!   Like others have said, I really like seeing your bows as well.  Keep posting!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 12:49:19 am »
Very nicely done!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 01:13:35 pm »
Nice looking bow!  75#....sheesh! :o ;)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »
You did a great job on it.
Rob

Offline Zion

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »
Thanks Arrowind, Coaster, Misslemaster, Rob! Missle, the draw is actually really smooth mostly because of the set it has, So it doesn't wear down on your shoulder and seems pretty light. Either that or my scale's wrong  ::)