Author Topic: 40" ash stave is it possible??  (Read 2244 times)

Offline danny f

40" ash stave is it possible??
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:40:34 pm »
hi. i had a piece of an ash board left over.  i posted the piece of wood on another thread,  it ended up being only 40" inches long due to a swerve with the grain running out at one end so i cut that bit off and  i have chased it down to 1 ring. i was wondering what you all thought would be possible with this size of stave. it is 2" wide.  i am not after anything to powerful but would like to get a bow out of it. i may even make it for my 3 yr olds boys  first bow.  i was thinking maybe a pyramid style with 4"handle and 1.5" fades and straight tapering to half inch. but i am no expert so any help would be appreciated thanks danny.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: 40" ash stave is it possible??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 04:19:13 pm »
I think that board would be perfect for your boy. He's only 3, It's not like he's gonna have a 25" draw, and pullin 50# ;) Keep us posted, lookin forward to seeing it finished. I love kids bows.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:47:57 pm »
I think you'll be fine making a kids bow with it.  Just so we're clear, in the pic you have not gotten it down to one ring?
Bendy handle.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline danny f

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 05:52:14 pm »
cheers, yes the pic was taken before i took it down to one ring. does the pyramid design sound reasonable or would a different design suit this small stave better. and with it being a bend through the handle does it not need a riser block gluing on? thanks danny.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »
No riser.  You can do a pyramid or you can keep it full width for part of the limb.  1/2 or even farther.  If I were going for a longer draw length and higher weight I would keep it wide.  Kids bow, either will work.  40 inches is real short, so the more width on the limbs the better.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:30:44 pm »
bendy handle!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 09:21:17 pm »
Pyramid bows are nearly foolproof. Your stave should do very well for a 3-year-old. You don't want more than about a 10# pull. That will be easy with a stiff handle pyramid 40" long in ash. 1-1/4" wide, 5/16" thick to start. Probably end up thinner.

It will launch a light arrow faster than you might want. Only let him shoot with supervision!

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline danny f

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 04:01:00 am »
cheers for the advice everyone, and yes i would only ever let him shoot while i was there, or he may start hunting his sisters  >:D :laugh: