Author Topic: going to try mesquite  (Read 5444 times)

Offline snedeker

going to try mesquite
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:11:33 am »
People have asked about this for years and the only one I've ever seen on here is that sinewed numher from the a month or so ago.  I found some decent straight grained lumber in 3' lengths, so I have a couple 1/2 length slats I will splice and back with hickory.

I see that the average sg of Texas mesquite is .80.  I thoughth about trying hard maple backing, but am going to go with quarter sawn hickory.  I would imagine the main risk will be frets.   I noted in ripping a tendency to spawl off a little when the saw got stuck, reminding me of how paduak behaves.  I will report the results what ever they may be.

Dave, the happy-go-lucky bowman

Offline Badger

Re: going to try mesquite
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 02:57:01 pm »
Dave about 7 years ago I was trying out some mesquite, it did have tendency to chrysal, I was tring to make self bows from it and the backs kept giving away, I never completed a bow with out failure due to belly failure or back failure, I would like to try it again as at that time my skills were marginal at best. I did try some desert iron wood scraps, a relative of mesquite, just fashioned out some rough bending bows from crooked twisted pieces, The iron wood I think could make excellent bows, back was very strong and belly would take a lot of compression. Steve

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 03:43:08 pm »
I see it shows up as a "true bow wood" on Tim Baker's list, but he provides no annotational remarks.

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 03:49:25 pm »
Ed Scott wrote an article for the magazine awhile back about mesquite bows. He is an advertiser too. Look up his contact info in the classified ads section , his company is ' Owl Bows' .

Ralph

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 04:30:11 pm »
I seem to recall that article now that you mention it.  Thanks.  I put in a call and left a message.

Dave

Offline snedeker

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:03:45 pm »
I discussed with Ed and he indicates it is strong in compression and weak in tension.  He uses no hard backings, so all his are sinewed.  the suggests hickory backing should be great.  Sort of an ERC type situation

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 11:04:15 pm »
Tried setting up a little splie with two half length slats and they just fell apart while sawing.  May have to reevaluate this.