Author Topic: HHB stave for feathers  (Read 1680 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

HHB stave for feathers
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »
Hey guys,

I am in need of some turkey feathers, processed or raw, left wing or right, primaries or secondaries and enough to do about 15 arrows.

I have got a few HHB staves, I am willing to let one go for the sake of arrow supplies.  Anywhere from 55-70 in.  The 70 in staves came from a tree with smaller diameter , and all the smaller staves came from a larger diameter tree.  The bark was left on originally and ripped off later when it had stuck to the wood, so it has the cambium patchiness like hickory.  I am currently digging my way through the snow to the woodshop to take some pics, i will have them up in a couple hours.

or just PM me if you are interested and i can send you a pic :)

NNB
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline osage outlaw

Re: HHB stave for feathers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 03:44:44 pm »
I have some feathers that might work for you.  PM sent.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 04:00:06 pm »
If you don't get all you need drop me a note!!   Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:13:10 pm »
*FOR OSAGE OUTLAW*

After I cut and reseal the ends they will be 61" long, at least 2.5 in wide and at least 2 in deep in a wide wedge/triangle shape cross-section.  They have no real knots but do have a few lumps and bumps, also they are pretty straight but not perfectly straight as you can see in the pics :D  As per Marc St.Louis, I kerf cut these staves out to ease splitting. but can tell you that according to the bark, they were kerfed near perfect to the grain.  They were cut in early summer and split into staves a couple weeks later.  I can poke it with my moisture meter if you like, but id say a fair guess is 12-15 %
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:41:17 pm »
Just to clarify, only one of these is being traded, i cherish my ironwood and only trade when I NEED things :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:21:24 pm »
I've never worked HHB before, but it looks to me like that is some premium whitewood.  Lemme know if you have any extra and need additional feathers. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 11:10:24 pm »
Me too, I have feathers, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 12:52:42 am »
Cherish that wood man, I wont be getting any more next summer, but I will bring some elm and white ash back in march, even if its a few staves. I am going to BC next august for my honeymoon, maybe I can take a romantic walk with the Mrs. and look for some yew ;D