Author Topic: Does it worth?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline diliviu

Does it worth?
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:40:07 pm »
Hello,

I like sapling bows as they are easier to make. I generally take slow growing wood (like dogwoods for example) to have mature wood at small diameters.
Well, not this time! I've seen a 2 inches thick mulberry pretty clean for a mulberry and couldn't resist. Up to now, mulberries I've cut of close thickness had heartwood (1 inch at least). Bad luck - this one has practically no heartwood . Its wood feels pretty ok in density and rings, but only white.
I have a length of about 155-160 cm that I can use. What do you think, does it worth to make a bow from it?
I am thinking at a paddle style, semi bending handled, with the handle not too narrowed. If I can get something, I hope for a 40-42 lb at 26-27'. Do you think that heat treating the belly slowly (a longer time and further of the heat) would make it reasonable elastic in compression?

Offline Dictionary

Re: Does it worth?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:50:35 pm »
None of my bows have heartwood in them.  ;)
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:14:51 pm »
You won't be able to make a paddle bow with it cus it more than likely has to high of a crown and you won't have enough width because of it...make a simple bend in the handle with it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:38:22 pm »
I've made good bows with all sapwood mulberry. It will come out thicker than an all heartwood bow but it will work fine. For small diameter staves make the belly flat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline diliviu

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »
Thank you for your replies.
I'll make it bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:31:58 pm »
Just leave it a few inches longer to counteract the crown. Let the stave dictate the design. A paddle bow may not fit the stave.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!