Author Topic: Stone source in south central Indiana  (Read 1374 times)

Offline KShip85

Stone source in south central Indiana
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:57:45 pm »
I've been wanting to try my hand at breaking some rock and am wondering if there is a good source of rock near Bloomington, Indiana that I could start practicing on.  I'd prefer not to blow money on good rock that I'll most likely ruin.  I've got a buddy who has done some knapping that can teach me but he's not from the area originally so I don't think he knows of a good rock source.  Thanks for the help.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Bone pile

Re: Stone source in south central Indiana
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:40:39 pm »
Is there hornstone in the area,if so it works real good
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 07:49:02 pm »
Most good rock sources are not public knowledge.  If they were, the best rock would be gone pretty quick from that spot.   ;)

We all ruin good rock, even experienced knappers.  But that shouldn't discourage you.  Try to get the best rock you can.  It will save you a lot of frustration, believe me.  For example, you wouldn't buy crappy arrows to practice with just because you might loose them, would you?

Glass from wine bottles is a good alternative to stone.  Knap the darker colors:  it's easier to see the flake scars.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline KShip85

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:15:08 pm »
I've read somewhere that there is hornstone somewhere in this area but I don't happen to know where, haha.  If there is anyone in the area who knows where to make a rock run, I'm willing to be a mule in exchange for some stone to work on  :)

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:26:04 pm »
Do you mind wearing a blindfold?!?  ::) >:D ;)

I'm with Jackcrafty. Good flint deposits are hard to find and well worth keeping secret. Most people would rather give rock away than divulge there source.

Keep looking and don't be afraid to knock on some doors. You may get lucky!

Scott

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:52:11 pm »
I've read somewhere that there is hornstone somewhere in this area but I don't happen to know where, haha.  If there is anyone in the area who knows where to make a rock run, I'm willing to be a mule in exchange for some stone to work on  :)

Go over to the Glenn Black Labratory on campus and inquire. The rest is up to you. I think I pmd you last year but no reply.
Lot of the creeks in the area have Monroe chert ( orange) that is great for learning with

Tracy
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:56:05 pm by TRACY »
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline KShip85

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:09:21 pm »
Hey Tracy, sorry I must have missed your pm.  I wasn't on here much for awhile and I must have missed it or accidentally deleted it.  Thanks for the info, I'll have to try and make it over to campus and check it out.  I might also try doing some creek bed exploring.  I've got a creek bed on family property that no one really goes on so I might have some luck there.  I live close to an old limestone quarry, would it be worth checking around there?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:43:25 pm »
When deer and duck seasons are out, I would be willing to meet up with you and break some rock. Derik (bowtarist) is local and is another good person to sit and knap with. Just shoot me a pm

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 10:58:21 pm »
Check around all limerock quarries. You can usually find some kind of Chert.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?