Author Topic: If I made a bow like this, could I call it a reflex deflex?...  (Read 1423 times)

Offline toomanyknots

If I made a bow like this, could I call it a reflex deflex?...
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:56:40 am »
I recently made some recurve forms that would produce the equivalent of the reflexed limbs found in common reflex deflex bows. I was wondering, if I started with a straight normal grade white wood self bow stave (of some wood that typically takes a little set, nothing too compression strong like osage/elm/iron wood, etc, maybe like red oak or ash or something) and reflexed the limbs like a reflex deflex, but left the rest of the bow straight? And tillered the bow so that most of the bend would be in the inner limbs, in hopes that the inner limbs would develop the inevitable set, so as to create the delfex in a reflex deflex bow?... would that be cheating...,  ;D. Would I be forced to call it a "reflex / set-flex bow"? lol
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: If I made a bow like this, could I call it a reflex deflex?...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:31:01 pm »
The final profile shape of the bow will determing the shape style...no matter how you get there.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

Re: If I made a bow like this, could I call it a reflex deflex?...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:38:37 pm »
The deflex in bows of that design is all in the handle. None of them have actual bending in the inner limb to achieve that profile.
 There is a misconception with this style of bow.
 The idea is to change the plane of the limbs so that less strain is needed to achieve brace height and less energy remains in the bow after release.
 Actual damage or manipulating wood shape isn't really part of this design although plenty of selfbowyers think inner limb set/string follow achieves the same goal. Only partially.