Author Topic: new quiver i made today  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: new quiver i made today
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 10:02:27 pm »
You and me both, the broke part. I purchased a full cowhide, buffalo hide, and elk hide before I retired when I still had money flow. I've picked up a deer hide and some smaller pieces here and there for odds and ends projects. Good tools and leather will always be worth their weight in gold as long as we keep making our own. It's really a benefit for us all that so many people are willing to help us along. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 10:36:06 pm »
That should do the trick seabass, it looks real nice!

I've never stained a large project like that before, but I know how difficult it can be to get the stain to look "even".  I have never tried this, but I've read that it helps to slightly dampen the leather before applying the stain or dye.  Not criticizing your work at all - just trying to help out!  Also, you might want to try one of those out of some lighter material if you ever get your hands on some, like 4-5oz.  I prefer that for the plains quiver because it's more flexible and I think it helps to hold the arrows in when you bend over.

It's nice to see someone else catch the leather feaver too  ;)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 11:15:46 pm »
Nice work on that one.  ;)
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline seabass

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 11:26:24 pm »
Cameroo,i know the stain is uneven.i didn't have much left and was unsure of my design.i cut this piece off the end of my side because i was going without a pattern and was unsure how it would turn out.this was a quickie.your work is some of the best i have seen.i hope i get half as good as you brother.i am poor and have limited tools.until i saw your stuff,i had no idea what a swivel knife was used for.i also heard that wetting the leather would give more even dyeing.thank you for all the info and ideas.they will come in handy for sure.have a great thanksgiving brother.
Middletown,Ohio