Author Topic: The Tangent Bow  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: The Tangent Bow
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 06:52:16 am »
Good looking bend on that bow,nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 07:53:49 am »
Tiller looks great! I like the cambium layer left on, I usually do that when working hickory. Well done!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 11:21:32 pm »
Another great looking hickory bow Ryan!
 We need to get you some osage soon, you're gettin' in a "rut" with all that good hickory... ;)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 01:57:34 am »
Beautiful.  That pic of the front profile is awesome.  I really like your design approach, and it looks like you carried it out very well.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Holten101

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 03:24:38 am »
Very nice bow....obviously awsome workmanship (I dig the trapped back:-).

Now dont get me wrong....but I dont think the tiller matches the pyramid profile. A little more bend out of the fades and a little less mid limb and it would have hit the spot. That being said, I envy the even tiller, and the looks of this bow:-)

Cool bow.

Cheers

Offline adb

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 01:34:02 pm »
Very nice bow....obviously awsome workmanship (I dig the trapped back:-).

Now dont get me wrong....but I dont think the tiller matches the pyramid profile. A little more bend out of the fades and a little less mid limb and it would have hit the spot. That being said, I envy the even tiller, and the looks of this bow:-)

Cool bow.

Cheers

+1

Offline RyanY

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 01:58:50 pm »
Thanks guys!

Again, this is not a pyramid bow, and shouldn't be tillered as one, nor should a pyramid bow be tillered in the way that you say, Holten and adb. The tiller on this bow already bends more in the inner limb than a pyramid bow should and less in the outerlimbs. More bend near the fades would ask that wood to do more work than necessary causing detrimental inner limb set and the mid limb wouldn't be doing its fair share of work. Even true pyramid bows should be ever so slightly elliptical in order to keep set from the inner limb/fade area at a minimum.

Here's a pic to help visualize the tiller. I believe the bow is slightly tilled down on the right side but close enough.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 02:12:46 pm »
Well done Ryan!  Your tiller is spot on for that design.  I do like hickory as well.  I live 3 hrs west of you and the climate is just dry enough to really bring out the potential of hickory.  where I live, hickory will do anything Osage will.  Unfortunately, it don't grow here.   Anyway, beautiful work!  Josh

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 05:40:36 pm »
Very nice Ryan.  I like it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline RyanY

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 06:34:59 pm »
Thanks Marc. Always happy to get your seal of approval.

Josh, I appreciate the kind words. Glad to hear you're a hickory enthusiast. Its tough stuff ain't it!

Offline Holten101

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 02:54:31 am »
Thanks Ryan
I think the picture with added graphic shows the tiller better, and I see that my initial judgement might have been "jumping the gun".
Looking at the front profile I would still call it a pyramid bow, and I would still (had I done it my self) ask the fade area, were the bow is widest, to do more work. But....my way could very well be wrong;-)....and you have give me food for thoughts;-).

Again...very nice work.

Cheers

Offline RyanY

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 12:23:59 pm »
Thanks Holten, If none of us disagreed we'd never get anywhere. The reason I don't call this one a pyramid is because the taper is NOT a straight line to the tips. Maybe instead of a pyramid this is more of a "Hershey's Kiss" taper. Although, Pyrmid designs can have reduced mass by Eiffel Towering the tips to some degree. Also the fade area is already doing more work than the rest of the limb. Could it do more without taking considerable set, leading to more narrow mid-outer limbs and lower string angle for more stored energy? Perhaps but I think we'll find out when you make it.  ;D