Author Topic: My First Bow (saying hi)  (Read 13313 times)

carpespasm

Re: My First Bow (saying hi)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 02:26:32 am »
Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll lay off the Fibatape (I was wondering if it would constitute it being more of a glass backed bow anyway). I guess I'll be scrounging for some nice paper to back it with now. maybe some nice notebook paper to go with my dental floss string. :P ::) ;)

CHUCKER

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 08:48:25 am »
Been there, done that! Several years ago I started with red oak board bows nd tried the glass tape. To be honest it sucked...I stripped it off and used floor under layment paper, primed with TB2 as was the oak, allowed to set 20 minutes then I re coated lightly with TB2 and it worked great. It (back) takes paint well for all your art work and is all natural!

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 01:34:26 pm »
While we are talking backing, I have some pretty tight woven burlap. Has anyone tried burlap for backing? If so what kind of glue?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 01:36:48 pm »
I seem to remember someone on here using burlap as for glue any of the Titebonds should work fine.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 02:58:10 pm »
Jawge did a buildalong with burlap backing

carpespasm

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 11:32:01 pm »
I did the backing earlier today, and since I'm trying to keep my cost down with this first bow, since I'm mostly using it as a learning experience to put into my next bow, whatever that may be, I decided to back it with plain paper grocery sack strips. >:D The whole thing went on nicely with about 1 1/2 layers of paper and a coat of titebond II on top. I'll let it cure overnight, then use a light file to clean the edges of the backing.

More at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ironleg/1486319339/

carpespasm

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 01:10:42 pm »
i trimmed the excess paper off, and the glue is dry to touch. How long should I wait before I begin tillering?