Author Topic: Limb Timing  (Read 3098 times)

Offline bow101

Limb Timing
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:37:39 pm »
I have read enough on this subject, so I'll just make it brief. :laugh:
Ok so I'm the new guy on the block about this bow building, dynamics, wood properties, physics etc....etc....
I have read stuff on limb timing. Now the bow that I built actually has a shorter upper lower limb because I went 1 inch above center with the arrow shelf. So should I tiller the bow having a weaker upper limb..? Some say to tiller it even on the tree because if you don't the Dynamics will change with age of the bow...Correct..?  ???
Here is something  from Dean Torges and The Bowyer's Edge, tillering organic bows.

http://www.bowyersedge.com/organic.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:04:55 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Limb Timing
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:28:40 pm »
I have read enough on this subject, so I'll just make it brief. :laugh:
Ok so I'm the new guy on the block about this bow building, dynamics, wood properties, physics etc....etc....
I have read stuff on limb timing. Now the bow that I built actually has a shorter upper lower limb because I went 1 inch above center with the arrow shelf. So should I tiller the bow having a weaker upper limb..? Some say to tiller it even on the tree because if you don't the Dynamics will change with age of the bow...Correct..?  ???
Here is something  from Dean Torges and The Bowyer's Edge, tillering organic bows.

http://www.bowyersedge.com/organic.html

???
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:45:09 pm »
With asymmetrical bows i think a good idea is to make each limb have the same amount of flex. Don't pay attention to where the tips line up, just that each limb's arc looks about the same. If one limb overpowers the other it seems a recipe for handshock and probably effects cast a little too, tho i'm not sure.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »
osage outlaw; could you please elaborate on the  ???

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 10:17:15 pm »
So both limbs are the same length but you are shooting the arrow 1 inch above center. That's fine. That's about what I do. Tiller even or the bottom limb about 1/4 inch stiffer. You can check in a mirror or have someone take a picture. That's actually the best way after full draw if you have a bit of weight spare. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:21:16 pm »
My feeling is nothing approximates how you are holding the bow. BTW limb timing refers to how the limbs flex and return. You need to watch that on a  rope and pulley or in front of a mirror. They should foe and return evenly and at the same time. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:21:33 pm »
Thanks George that pretty well sums it up. No need to take this topic any further.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32:10 pm »
I understand the question that the outlaw had for you because it wasn't self explanatory. Is the top limb longer or shorter? My top limbs are usually longer.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 10:42:39 pm »
Gosh darn I have to proof read everything a hundred times before I post..
The top limb is the same as the riser was glued on dead center with the arrow shelf been cut in 1 inch above center.

I understand the question that the outlaw had for you because it wasn't self explanatory. Is the top limb longer or shorter? My top limbs are usually longer.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:53:15 am »
You said the upper lower limb was shorter.  I was trying to figure out which limb you were talking about. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 04:28:57 am »
I have always had some issues with the 'lower limb stiff' concept but I think the real dynamics are too complicated to analyse even if you had a bunch of degrees in maths and physics and a CAD system to help.
IMO the answer is simply 'do what works for you'.
The only thing I'll add is that on shorter flat limbed bows I've had a couple which suddenly went out of tiller with the lower limb going weak after I'd thought they were thoroughly shot in.
Placing it on the tiller in the way it's going to be shot helps and don't clamp it on the tiller. It will still look a bit different being shot for real (sometimes flip ing it left to right on the tiller makes it look wildly different too)
So check it being drawn for real as it gets towards fianl tiller, shoot it in plenty and be nice to the spirits of the trees.
Del
(If all else fails make an ELB ;D, being so long, they are far less twitchy about hand position)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:49:36 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 07:56:46 am »
You should tiller a bow by how it feels in the hand as you draw it back to full draw not by how it looks.  Limb timing is a debatable subject.  If both limbs have roughly the same mass, especially in the outer limbs, and are well tillered then they will be timed.  I never concern myself with limb timing and I've been told by many that my bows shoots exceptionally well.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 09:12:10 am »
Good point, Marc. When I tiller, I take it down and partial draw it trying to sense the handle pressure to see if the limbs are drawing evenly and returning evenly. Jawge
Set Happens!