Author Topic: Rookie with a couple of questions  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
Rookie with a couple of questions
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:29:55 pm »
Completed my second point tonight. Having a problem with thinning. I'm setting up my platforms slightly below centerline. I have them set up to follow a ridge and I grind them slightly to strengthen them but I can't seem to get my flakes to cross the center. So I en up having a hump down the middle. The more I try to remove the hump my point gets narrower and narrower. Any suggestions anyone?  Like I said this is my second complete point but I have gone through only tweenty pounds if stone so far. I ruin most before they are close to complete.

Thanks
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline bubby

Re: Rookie with a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:46:24 pm »
look's good for your second point, at the top of the page Tower did a great tutorial on thinning, check that out and see what ya can do, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »
Yea, that's a super 2nd point.  I still struggle with thinning on the larger points.  I'm not good enough to offer help.  Don is the thinning expert, his tutorial is the right thing to look at.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:04:51 pm »
Sam you did an outstanding job on ur second point. The only way I know to get better is just do a lot more of it. This skill does not give itself up easy. You will have to put in the time to earn it. That being said, you got an eye for it and should be fine.

Thinning takes technique and pressure in the right spot/direction. If your flakes are stopping at center it might be caused by any number of things from poor setup, improper holding, not enough pressure (ishi stick can help with that,) or you just weren't holding ur tongue right. When you begin to develop the feel for it, it's gonna feel a little like magic at first. And don't get depressed when you bust the next 20! It's just a rock until it's a point.

Scott

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:19:23 pm »
I have read the tutorial and learned a lot from it. I will see if I'm putting pressure on the underside. I've been watching lots of videos too. I have been to one knap in and learned a lot. Hoping to go to another one soon. Nothing like live help. I need to find a source for more rock. My gravel pile is large and rock pile is small. Lol
Thanks for the comments
Sam
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:35:58 pm »
My second point looked like any old stone in the drive way. That is great for #2!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:24:34 am »
 first that point is amazing! Your doing great. Second learn to thin the biface as much as possible before trying to reduce with pressure. Tower does a lot of thinning before pressure.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 01:17:55 am »
It sounds like you may need to lower your platform some if it's just below center