Author Topic: piking and shifting string nock questions  (Read 2138 times)

Offline armymedic.2

piking and shifting string nock questions
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:27:54 am »
I have been deer hunting with my 72 inch overbuilt hickory bamboo backed longbow this season.   Not only is it a little slow and light on draw weight.....but it is too loud as well.  I have had too many jump the string this year due to the string hitting my arm.

I have tried every trick without altering the bow.  I have decided to pike the bow to gain some weight either way.   
The main question is can i "violate" the grain by when piking...removing more from the le:ft to facilitate the new nocks being more to the right....tracking the string center in the handle instead of slightly Left as it does now.   I would heat bend but i dont think the boo and urac will withstand it

In a tshirt the bow is silent.  But even the addition of an armgaurd or longsleeve it gets loud as the string strikes my forearm.

What say the braintrust?   Alter nocks....alter handle?
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: piking and shifting string nock questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:14:03 am »
I wouldn't think that re-laying out the bow would hurt. In other words, you would be basically redrawing your outside lines with a shorter overall bow and with the center line through the handle. As far as the string slap goes, you might try a slightly higher brace height. You are going to have to re-tune your arrows anyway due to the increased weight. Just my opinion based on limited experience.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:24:38 am »
Thanks for weighing in l.     I have raised the brace.   It doesnt help though because it is striking my forearm and not my wrist.    Its not overtravel its just setting left too far (right handed)

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:32:54 am »
It wont hurt the bow to narrow the tips more on one side than the other, I do that on just about all of my bows to get the string tracking closer to center. Dont use heat on a backed bow as it will cause problems at the glueline.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:47 am »
In archery in college I had a much more upright stance and locked my elbow. Over the years I have developed a more stooped over style with my elbow bent somewhat. I think this has helped with string slap especially when you are wearing heavy clothing in cold weather. You might consider bending your bow arm slightly. It is not too hard to get used to.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:31:12 am »
I shoot like that too Kenny.  It seems to work better in hunting clothes and it's nice to not fool with having to wear an armguard.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:38:47 am »
Thanks ok.   Yeah guys ive tried.  I shoot hunched to begin with.   I only draw 25-26 inches i try to stay bent so much.  Still not enough .   So ill pike.....cheat to
Right side.   Im really hoping not to bust the bow but it was only a second attempt bow.  If it breaks oh well i have others.    Im also considering building left of grip to shift my arm out of way a little while remaining closer to centershot

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 10:16:34 am »
A small adjustment of the string line won't cause problems, just don't go mad 1/8 -1/4" max at one end will probably be plenty. Too much and it will make the bow turn a tad in the hand.
I agree with the others, a slightly hunched 'tree hugging' stance works well. The bolt upright target archery stance is fine if you have some modern f'glass cr4p with bells and whistles and gps guided laser sights.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 01:22:17 pm »
Eloquently stated!    I call them space bows :D

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 01:40:27 pm »
Careful with nock adjust that you don't get prop twist.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »
Thank you for your service Sir!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 07:28:17 pm »
Adb i was wondering that myself.  I will go easy......the bow has some already so i may end up leaving alone and just making faster after careful analysis once my 40 hour weekend is over

Slim.   It was my honor.  Thanks for the thanks.