Author Topic: Kampsville old Settler days  (Read 2217 times)

Stringman

Kampsville old Settler days
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:05:00 pm »
I spent the weekend down at Kampsville, IL demonstrating some gravel making. It was a wet weekend overall but there were a few rays of sunshine mixed in. There was only one other knapper at the event so it wasn't hard to draw a crowd. Every time I would start reducing a big spall folks would just gravitate toward the sound. I ended up make several nice pieces and sold a few before I could get pics. Sorry I didn't get any shots of the event, I was just too busy.

That's just a few of the bigger pieces I worked on. All in all it was a rewarding experience, met a lot of folks that live in that flint rich environment and even got a few offers to pick up some.  This is a blade a turned out this morning before coming in to work.

Thanks for looking!
Scott

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Kampsville old Settler days
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:19:22 pm »
WOW! awesome stuff! i really like your consistency in shape and size!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:21:54 pm »
Sweet what kind of flint are the 2 one the top left nice color.
Rob

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:47:17 pm »
Very nice work! Great looking flake scars.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:06:25 pm »
Dang, I need to learn to thin better...

Those are awesome Scott. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:33:25 am »
The 2 at the top are Burlington that I pick up and heat treat. I really like their color too.

Scott

Offline stonearrow

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:21:53 am »
Your pieces look great amazing! Im the young knapper that you gave the horseshoe nail to. I mad a handle for it and it helped to make my edges sharper and thinner with longer flakes being removed. Still cant get any big flakes to make heads though.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:35:42 am »
Very nice work,all of them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 09:45:08 am »
Your pieces look great amazing! Im the young knapper that you gave the horseshoe nail to. I mad a handle for it and it helped to make my edges sharper and thinner with longer flakes being removed. Still cant get any big flakes to make heads though.

Hey bud, glad you found your way to PA! Did you stop back by on Sunday? I packed up after it started raining in the afternoon. Where do you live again? Get in touch and maybe we can sit down and work on some knapping together. I ain't the best, but I know a few secrets. Shoot me a pm and we'll figure something out.

Scott

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:20:17 am »
Nice work Scott.  Man you musta been busy that weekend to knock out so many.  Great work as always, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 03:38:39 pm »
Very nice work Scott!  Very nice! Is that obsidian out of the bucket of spawls that was gifted you at mojam? Josh

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 04:09:46 pm »
Good eye! Yep I finally got around to opening it up. You have any idea what I should do with it now?!?

Scott

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:03:43 pm »
Good eye! Yep I finally got around to opening it up. You have any idea what I should do with it now?!?

Scott

Being the rank amateur that I am,  I would never be so bold as to offer advice to a master in regards to the completion of one of his masterpieces!  In other words, I have no idea.  I just wish I had the skill to turn one out that size. ;D.   Josh