Author Topic: Made my first leggings!  (Read 4700 times)

Offline robtattoo

Made my first leggings!
« on: September 15, 2012, 02:15:50 am »
I hope this is the right place for this, I don't get on here very often......

I'd like, first of all, to extend my heartfelt apologies to everyone who hand-crafts buckskins to sell. I have been guilty, in the past, of thinking your wares were too expensive. Now that I've had a go myself, I understand your reasoning. This would be a damnably thankless way to earn a living! :)

Anyhoo, I had a couple of 'comercial Braintan' (We all know it's chrome, just say chrome!) deer hides laying around & not doing too much, so I figured I'd make a pair of leggings for deer season. They're not patterned after any particular region or period (if they happen to look like anything Historically Correct, it's pure coincedence!) I just took a long look at what I thought would work, be practical & be relatively protective.
I still need to get some soft wool or flax for a breechclout (It's a piece of Army blanket in the pics & yes, I'm in m' drawers!)

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Offline HFD60

• HFD60'S PHOTO'S
Re: Made my first leggings!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:19:04 am »
Rob the leggings look great, but please, please get a longer clout. :o :o ;)
Rich Bistline
Harrisburg, PA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:38:45 pm »
Nice work, Rob. They look great. ...but like HFD60 said... :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:34:07 pm »
I have a nice red wool flannel looooong breechclout with satiny smooth linen lining that would look good with those leggings.  But you can't have it because I like wearing it!

Once had a woman at a Rendezvous see me in that breechclout get all offended and holler, "Oh my G**, you aren't wearing underwear!"  I said, "Yes I am.  It started as a breechclout, but after walking around all morning it's a g-string now!"  She left me the heck alone for the rest of the weekend.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:27:31 pm »
They look great,very nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 12:50:35 pm »
How many hours of work would you say, Rob?
1’—>1’

Offline robtattoo

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:27:26 pm »
Thanks folks!

I would say about 2 hours in the first, an hour in the second. Once I'd got a handle on the cutting, measuring & lacing, the second went MUCH quicker.

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:18:33 am »
looks pretty good you actually gonna use em or just for show off? Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline robtattoo

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 12:02:23 pm »
My intention is to wear them. If I can get a clout figured out, I'll be in them this Saturday for opening day of bow season.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 03:55:21 am »

Great job!  Those look nice.  Yes..... make the next breech clout Lonnnnnger, and
I add, be sure to line it with flannel, or something, including the edges, or else it will look like you have fleas, or some other form of little crustatceons. ::) :P  Wool itches, especially Army blankets! ;)  Yes hand made leather products are expensive, especially when made with real brain tanned leather.  As you now know, "A LOT" of work and time goes into it, even the small items. ;)  Nice looking leggings! 8)
Dang, J.W.  didn't you tan that leather first, before making it into a breech clout?  Shrinking rawhide breech clout! :o It doesn't evoke a pleasant sight, or sound! :P ::)

Wayne

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 07:52:54 am »
Good looking pair of leggins.Good utility pair.Now get em greased up at the campfire frying bacon.Don't worry about any style...They are rabattoo style tell them.A trade wool blanket won't be too itchy for a breech clout.They are definitely cooler in the summertime.I've worn mine at many a rendezvous and they do get some hand over the mouth funny looks from the pilgrims that come to goggle at the skinners.
If you want to really appreciate the cost brain tan and smoke your own. :)
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 11:09:22 pm »
If you want to really appreciate the cost brain tan and smoke your own. :)

Boy, that's a truckload of truth!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 09:34:46 pm »
No doubt.  I have a pair of moccs from a deer i killed last year.    Probably 12 active hours in them making or more.......and only three of cutting and stitching......then again.   Might be about twenty hours.   

Now i brain........semi soften......put the walk in freezer to use for a few months.......then brain and soften and smoke.      Muuuccchhhhh easier.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.