Author Topic: elm build advice  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Lakota

elm build advice
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:07:52 pm »
 do I need to chase a ring on slippery elm stave about four inches in diameter.
Thanks for any input.
Lakota

Offline SA

Re: elm build advice
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:17:34 pm »
no just peal the bark and thats your back.
Shawn Acker

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:12:55 am »
What he said!

(If the log has some heartwood and you are really inclined to use this heartwood in your bow, you could theoretically chase a ring to include some heartwood. Ring chasing elm is not easy, though.)
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:42 pm »
Elm is allot like Hickory in the sense that the grain is interlocking . That's why they used it for wagon wheel hubs. I would think it would take forever and a day to chase a ring , but if you wanted to ,you could likely decrown  it with little fear of a violated back. If there isn't any damage under the bark I would go with that . Not much point in doing more work than you need to. IMHO.Others may have more  or different experiences than I ,and I look forward to seeing more responses to this post.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »
I'm new to this and really have no pertinent advice. But I'm also old so that gives me? Hmmm, Sorry I can't remember what we were talking about.

OK, I'm back. I've never produced an elm bow (yet) but have tried and IMO skinning the bark seemed like walking in your sleep compared to splitting it and trying to chase rings.

I've got a few hanging on the wall drying and waiting for spring. I'd use the remove the bark and cambium layer method. 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:14:03 am »
Elm can tend to have allot of paper thin rings. Chasing those is impossible. Nobody can do it. And because of the quality of fiber in the wood, you can violate allot of rings and still have a good bow. No need to chase a ring, just try to keep the back true to all the dips and curves the wood naturally has.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:44:35 am »
I know what you're talkin bout sleek.  The elm bow i posted here a few weeks ago that's in progress is like that.  I kept looking at the end of the stave thinking I was ring blind, then i figured out they're just really thin, a lot like a high quality yew stave.  I had debarked it just fine, but those outer rings were so thin that even light sanding made it look like there were violations all over the place when i stained it.  I guess technically they are, but not consequential (so far!!). 

Looks almost identical to coaster's bow here:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/coaster500/Bow%20trade%202012%20TG%20and%20PA/YewTradeBow2012015.jpg