Linked Events

• Kansas Fall Jamboree: October 26, 2012 - October 28, 2012

Author Topic: Possible Kansas Fall Jamboree  (Read 5148 times)

Offline Carle1953

Possible Kansas Fall Jamboree
« on: September 12, 2012, 02:48:24 pm »
Hi,
I am wondering if there are people who would be interested in a bow jamboree located close to Wichita, Ks at the end of October or the first of November.  Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks for your interest and help.
Carle1953 aka Carl Jones
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:10:56 pm by Calendargirl »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Possible Kansas Fall Jamboree
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:21:39 pm »
Boy howdy do I wish I lived closer!  That would be a lot of fun, plus I could do some blanket trading for Kansas osage. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:37:18 pm »
sounds great. and can be a perfect time of year to camp in kansas.
keep me updated. thanks!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »
Right now I am checking with a local park to work on details.  This is the tentative location.  http://www.naturalkansas.org/harvey.htm.  It has primitive camping or camper sites with power available for a fee.  Standard fees are $8 per night per camp.  There are sites with power for an additional $6 per night.  Showers are on site and I will see if they will be open at the end of October.  I will keep posting as I get information.  All input is appreciated.  Thanks again.

Carle1953

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 12:32:39 pm »
I met with the Park Advisory Board last night and they are all for the event.  It seems that I do have to find some sort of Liability Insurance for the event.  They are concerned about projectiles and sharp hand tools.  My next step is to meet with the County Commissioners to get their approval.  I was not aware so many ducks had to be in a row for a bunch of fine folks to get together and share their skills and companionship.

Offline ksbowhunter

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 01:12:30 am »
Yes,Yes, Yes!    Im just 20 minutes from there

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 01:24:13 pm »
I talked to an Insurance Agent yesterday.  It was enlightening.  It seems that there is a special "Event Policy" that is used for this type of thing.  Not only special "Event" Insurance, but also special underwriters who only write policies for special types of "Events", sporting, cooking, chili eating, etc, etc,.  It seems that archery," shooting a projectile" and bow-making, "using sharp tools" and being under 18 are some real obstacles. At present it seems that the normal minimum policy for "Sporting Events" is $362.50 for a 2 day event, $2.75 per person which allows you to have up to 131 people.  But so far my Insurance agent has not been able to find an Underwriter who will take it.  Special circumstances such as bow building and shooting requires a special application that has to go before the Underwriters review board.  What a hassle just to get a group of good people together to share a common passion. I don't know how in the world to hold an event without charging for it.  If anyone has suggestions, I would really like to hear them.  The only thing I can think of is a donations jar or a cover fee.  Any other ideas?   I will keep posting as I find out more.

Offline ksbowhunter

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 03:43:44 pm »
If a few bucks a head is what it would take to do this, I would not have any problem with that at all, would be worth it. Like I said I am just west of there, if there is anything I could help with let me know.

Shaun

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 12:46:19 pm »
This just keeps getting better and better.  I talked with someone who has held archery events and they referred me to the National Field Archery Association who has an underwriter for Archery.  In order to have access to this Insurance you must be a Member and pay your membership fee and your state fees.  After you have done that you can get insurance that allows you 80 people at the cost of $357.  I really don't have $500 to lay out for the Insurance and the Park Shelter.  I am afraid that in such short notice I am not going to be able to contact enough people and let them know about the event.  If no one shows up I bear the expense.  This is starting to look like a group effort is needed and more lead time.
I never expected this to be so complicated. 
Carol and I have decided for this year we are going to have a camp in at  her grandparents farm from Friday evening the 26th of October until Sunday afternoon.  Friends and family are all welcome. If anyone has a drawknife and a rasp I might be able to find some old piece of mulberry that they can whittle on, that is if they are willing to split that old 18 inch by 10 foot long log that has "Do Not Cut" painted on it in big orange letters. Apparently it worked as Carol's dad hasn't cut it up for firewood.  We will set up the two carports so people can sit in the shade.  We will set up targets on hay bales to shoot at.  It will be primitive camping.  Tents or trailers, doesn't matter.  We will wander the farm and follow deer trails in the sandhills.  Be aware in wandering the farm there is a lot of poison ivy!!!!!!!!!!!  If anyone is interested in joining us for a weekend or a day let me know and I will send directions on how to get there.

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 05:19:01 am »
Carl, I organize and run archery and atlatl events, up to about 250 participants. My best suggestion is to find an archery or shooting club that you can host the event on. That takes care of all your insurance issue then and there, and everyone benefits, plus you generally have build in infrastructure such as restrooms, clubhouse, ranges, backstops and soo on.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 03:17:55 pm »
Dane,
Thank you for your input, this gives me another avenue to explore. I really wanted to do this at Harvey County West Park.  This gives me an opportunity to ask myself which has more preference, the location or the event.  Thanks for the insight.

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:29 pm »
On the weekend of October 26, 27, and 28th we are going to have a little get together at 4026 N River Park Road, Burrton, KS.  There will be balloons at the end of the drive.

4 miles E of Burrton on Highway 50, 4 1/2 miles N on River Park Road. E side of the road.  I will be there Friday. Primitive camping, bring your own food and maybe something to add to the big pot for stone stew.  Bowbuilding, fire making, sandal making, walking wildlife trails, bow shooting.  Whatever interests you have or we think about.  If you want to learn to build a great little survival stove bring along either a large juice can and a bean can, or a bean can and a vegetable can.